Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/24 23:30
Okay, so I know this question may be done to death. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a lot of information on this subject when I did an internet search.

What makeup styles are appropriate for female ALTs? Or for those female ALTs out there, what kind of makeup do you wear?

I know that it varies depending on school, BOE, grade level, etc. But just to cover all my bases, I welcome any and all information, as well as general DOs and DO NOTs.

Please note: Asking my company for this information is not really an option. I joined my company's Facebook group, and posted a similar question, in which I also asked about appropriate ALT clothing. I received several answers, some helpful and most not so helpful. One person told me I should "care less about my appearance" and "focus on teaching." -- Point is, I'm not so comfortable asking anyone from my company anything. ;-;

So, any and all information you have will be greatly appreciated.

by lolrendi123 (guest)  

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 10:17
Surely it would be the same for most business jobs? Don't overdo it, just enough to enhance and make yourself look neat and tidy. Is this really something you honestly need to ask?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 11:13
Considering I read that some people are not allowed to wear makeup, and then that others are, yes. Yes, I felt the need to ask. Better safe than sorry. No need to be curt.
by lolrendi123 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 11:15
Also, I am a teacher by trade, so I'm not exactly familiar with business makeup. In my old school, I could wear makeup as I pleased.

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 11:26
I think op is just looking for tips, as there seem to have been no previous restrictions on makeup wherever she taught.
by gretajonesxo1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 12:36
I just want to say: I am highly disappointed in the first commenter. I hope you don't respond to your students like that --assuming you are an ALT -- if they have an honest question.

To lolrendi123, your question is not stupid by any means. When I went earlier this year for sightseeing, there were posters scattered around big cities advertising business makeup tutorials.

I struggle with this same issue, and all I can say is that I've been searching Pintrest like a crazy person!

There are a couple suitable examples, which I plan on referring to when I start my own ALT gig next month.

If you are an American, I know it can be pretty daunting going from an environment where you can wear more relaxed clothing, or even having piercings, to a place where you are told you must wear business attire, etc. (Though the internet kind of gives the idea that almost anything goes, situation depending. That almost makes it worse.)

Sorry if this text looks all jumbled, btw. I'm typing from my phone.
Auto correct is a nightmare.

So if anyone else has ideas, I would like to hear them, as well.

Obviously we cannot wear BOLD makeup, but visual examples are nice.

When I was teaching in Massachusetts, I could make cat eyes with my eyeliner (little ones) and one teacher had a tattoo on her forearm.
by gaijinxstrugglebus rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 12:54
I would say, go with something that looks professional and natural. Teaching school-age students, you want to look capable, so a little make-up will help; but you don't want to put oo much on and look like you're trying to hard or are ready for a night on the town!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 12:59
Don't let this new ...(guest) get to you too much. He usually seems to have sound advice, but also feels the need to mix in a smart ass comment or two.

BTW, I think there are several users on this forum posting under the ...(guest) handle. At least there's me and smartass ...(guest), and at least one more regular ...(guest) poster that was here before both of us.
by another ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 13:11
generally, Japanese people are thinking about school teachers as an old-fashioned stereotype of teachers. So, just behave like your old good young time, in some decades old way.
if you encounter the schools where the student's fashions are similar to your countries, and if you hear teacher's sighs many times, you know that you get some bad luck. But, in that school, you may not necessary to worry about your makeup so much.
teachers are not business persons, and they are expected to be good examples of human beings, at least in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate makeup for female ALTs? 2014/7/25 13:16
Thanks for the solid advice, guys.

Yeah, I'll try not to let it get to me, but to be honest I am a little shell shocked still from the rudeness I cited from my own coworkers.

On a separate occasion, I inquired about transformers or converters being needed coming from the USA to Japan (only a 20v difference). I have Hermione Granger hair, and it would be nice to know if I could bring along my dual voltage flat iron. It costs 200$, so bringing it with me is preferred to buying a new one.

When I listed my flat iron as an example, a bunch of male ALTs started berating me, telling me it would "take up too much space in my luggage" (wut?).
Then the male ALTs began voting on whether or not "need a hair straightener."

I don't want to look like an unmade bed, so ideally I don't want to walk into my classroom looking like a corpse and/or someone who got electrocuted.

But yeah. I greatly appreciate those of you who left your opinion without being mean. I really have a bad taste in my mouth because of my interactions with my fellow ALTs. I just want to make the best impression possible on the people I will work with, as well as my students. And to be honest, I don't think that's a crime.

reply to this thread