Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama Matsuri or Cherry Blossom 2014/7/28 16:15
Hello,

I am planning my 2nd trip to Japan (the first one was amazing and perfectly planned thanks to japan-guide.com) and I don't know what would be the best choice.

Basically I will have 2 weeks to visit Japan and I don't know when to go :
- 28/03 to 12/04 : I think it is the best time for cherry blossom viewing in Tokyo and Kyoto
- 03/04 to 19/04 : I will be able to visit Takayama and its festival but the cherry blossom will probably be less impressive in Tokyo and Kyoto.

What do you think I should do?

Thank you very much for your help.

Nicolas
by nini (guest)  

Re: Takayama Matsuri or Cherry Blossom 2014/7/28 17:30
Just don't go to Tokyo and Kyoto, problem solved. :)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama Matsuri or Cherry Blossom 2014/7/28 18:07
Thank you for your reply.

As my friend has never been to Japan, these are must-do's in our itinerary.

If we go to the festival, is it recommended to attend both days? I wonder it is wise to leave in the afternoon of the 15th.

Regards,
Nicolas
by nini (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama Matsuri or Cherry Blossom 2014/7/29 03:55
For the Takayama spring festival Apr 14 is the highlight with both daytime and evening parades. There is only daytime parade on Apr 15, so with limited time focus on Apr 14 and skip the next day.

As for the time of visit although there is no way to predict the ever changing weather these days, in average year sakura can still be enjoyed in Tokyo and the Kansai region in the first few days to a week in April. So if you arrive on Apr 3 the chance is still good. Yoshino is the pilgrimage site for cherry blossom and since the trees are planted along the mt slopes, it is said that for the whole month of April you can enjoy beautiful sakura view - early Apr down the foot of the mt and late Apr at top! And if you are after a quest for cherry blossom, mid Apr is the right time for places north of Tokyo so consider venturing up to the lovely Tohoku region.
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread