Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanenty living in Japan 2014/7/29 08:36
Hi, I am willing to go to Japan to study a master's degree of Mechatronics engineering via some scholarship program (about 2 years).

to make it simple, my ultimate goal is to live in Japan permanently and work there. I didn't get the scholarship yet, but I will work hard on it.

so, what is the difference between permanent residence and the actual citizenship? I need something like staying in Japan forever, the possibility of visiting my country or getting my wife to live with me always...

I need detailed info on the subject please. And, if someone like me is capable of doing it if he sticks with the rules or not.

I read that they require staying for 10 years there to be accepted, so let's say that master degree is 2 years... then I need to get a job (and hence, a visa for it) for 8 years THEN i can have the permanent residence?

thanks!
by Vegeta (guest)  

Re: Permanenty living in Japan 2014/7/30 10:13
Then you can apply for permanent residency. It's not guaranteed that you'll get it.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Permanenty living in Japan 2014/7/30 11:12
Years of studies or under the SOFA visa for US military do not count as years of residency when applying for permanent residency.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanenty living in Japan 2014/7/30 11:37
It says here that you must have had permission to work for 5 years, so presumably the other 5 years can be anything else.

http://www.moj.go.jp/content/000099622.pdf
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Permanenty living in Japan 2014/7/30 11:37
I understand permanent residence to be just that-being able to permanently reside in a country, regardless of nationality. Citizenship is the act of giving up one's citizenship in the country which they currently hold a passport and pledge allegiance to the new country and all its laws.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread