Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2014/7/31 01:19
Hi All,

This is my second trip to Japan and I am planning to go to Nara (have not been before). I can not decide whether to spend a full day in Nara or 1/2 day in Nara and 1/2 day at Iga Ueno to see the Ninja Museum(haven't been to Iga Ueno either). I only have one day for this. I am going to be staying in Kyoto by the JR station. Planning on heading out from Kyoto around 8am.

If I split my day up at each place, which would be the better city to end the day in?

In Nara I am hoping to see Todaiji Temple, Isuien or Yoshikien garden, and Kasuga Taisha.

Thanks everyone for your help!
by Liz (guest)  

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2014/7/31 10:58
Have not been to Iga Ueno but the traveling seems cumbersome, after which you need another hour to get to Nara (vice-versa). That is gonna take up some of your sight-seeing time.

I think half day each is fine, just more harassing due to the cumbersome commute.

Will you be going for the Ninja Show? If so, then should probably do Nara first.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2014/7/31 11:12
If you are a speed walker, you can do central nara within 2.5 hours. Maybe 3 hours.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2014/7/31 11:38
It's doable, but as already recommended, I'd do Nara first and probably recommend leaving Kyoto a little earlier so you're not so rushed in the morning.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2014/8/1 08:42
Thank you everyone for the advise. I will probably decide when I am there if I want to make the second trip out to Iga Ueno (I will have a JR Pass). If I end up staying the whole day in Nara is there anything else you would advise seeing? Any good places to eat (no raw fish or sushi)? Thanks.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2014/8/1 11:33
You could check out either (1) Horyuji or (2) Yakushiji Temple or (3) Kasuga Taisha with Kofukuji.

If you don't wish to, you can also consider dropping by Tofukuji or Fushimi Inari on your way to Nara.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2014/8/1 15:07
Half day or full day?... would you ask the same question if visiting Hong Kong, Rome or Tokyo?...of course you can 'rush around frantically and see something but will you actually experience anything???. I have been to Nara three times and will visit Nara this coming November for three days and 'still' find places of interest and fascination to enjoy. I always feel sorry for travellers who spend time and money to travel to a destination only to stand for five minutes taking photos then hurriedly have to move on and not actually 'explore' and fully experience the views, culture, history and ambience of their destination. If your going to visit Nara for half a day, my suggestion is don't!!!, buy a picture book or a DVD, as that is about as much experience and value you will get from your so called visit, be real!!! how much do you really expect to see anywhere in half a day?, Nara has lots to offer if your really interested in early Japanese culture and certainly deserves more than half a day or even one or two days.... talking from my experience only, whatever you decide I hope you have an enjoyable trip.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2015/1/30 07:19
Hi
I'd sugguest not 1, but 2 days in Nara. I've been there 2 times, 1 day each... and i always think it would be great to overnight there.

Regards
by Nenenene rate this post as useful

Re: Nara for 1/2 day or full day? October 2015/1/30 13:48
re food: there are a couple of arcades near the Kintetsu Nara station with lots of restaurants...noodles etc ..wefve eaten at many and all are good.
A stroll around Naramichi is worthwhile, after all the usual sights you have already mentioned.
It depends on your real interests, energy levels, and preparedness to spend some significant time travelling.
Another option, in addition to the Fushimi Inari one already made, is to maybe consider a stop off in Uji en route to Nara: the Byudoin temple, and tale of Genji Museum, and area in general, are lovely.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

reply to this thread