Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Obon in August in Tokyo 2014/8/3 13:06
Yipes! I made my reservations a few weeks ago to travel to Tokyo to revisit my fave city, and then noticed in a book today: Odon!

I don't even remember Odon back when I was living in Tokyo in August 2007. I only remembered the weeks in May and December when things shut down.

So, help: how much of Tokyo shuts down 8/7 and 8/17? Will I be able to eat in restaurants? Will I be able to visit museums and parks? Will I be able to shop?

A quick answer is much appreciated, thanks.
by Patrick (guest)  

Re: Obon in August in Tokyo 2014/8/3 15:38
Shops and tourist spots generally do not shut down during Obon, especially not the large and famous ones. Nor do they during May. Only New Year sees widespread closures.
To the opposite: Obon is a major travel and shopping season where the popular spots will be very crowded.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Obon in August in Tokyo 2014/8/19 05:09
There were no problems at all during my visit; there were lots of people all over, visiting.

I can see in my original post that I referenced 'odon'; no doubt I was hungry for udon. Certainly had my share of curry.
by Patrick (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread