Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4-day Road Trip From Tokyo - Ideas? 2014/8/24 15:42
Hello, all.

I have a friend visiting in October who'd like to rent a car for part of his time here. This is kind of a special opportunity for me, as I've never had extended access to a vehicle in Japan - I pretty much know most of the best spots within a few hours travel via train and bus, but what about by car?

I suppose I'd like to focus specifically on areas that are inaccessible or extremely difficult without a car, as this may be one of the few chances I'll have to see them. Any suggestions along those lines? Nature, village Japan, onsen - we're both keen on the outdoors and Japanese history and culture, so pretty much open to anything. Realistically I would think anything up to 5-6 hours max from Tokyo would be doable.

Thanks in advance for your help.
by Deeg67  

Re: 4-day Road Trip From Tokyo - Ideas? 2014/8/24 17:48
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6310.html

Maybe Izu Peninsula, particularly the western part? (But maybe a bit too close for a 4-day trip...)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: 4-day Road Trip From Tokyo - Ideas? 2014/8/24 17:54
Wouldn't that sound exactly perfect for the Japan romantic road?
Onsen
Mountain
Small town
Forests
Bodies of water
A shrine here and there

Yup sounds exactly like it
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4-day Road Trip From Tokyo - Ideas? 2014/8/24 18:20
The Romantic Road would be a good option, except the first time he came to Japan (this will be the second) he did much of it on a motorcycle...
by Deeg67 rate this post as useful

Re: 4-day Road Trip From Tokyo - Ideas? 2014/8/24 18:48
I suggest Hachimantai and Sanriku Coast :) Extra kudos for helping the local economy too.

However, If I were you I'd avise against renting directly from Tokyo, but getting a Shinkansen closer to where you want to start and rent from there will be far better and you won't have to suffer any of the nightmarish Tokyo traffic, either inbound or outbound.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: 4-day Road Trip From Tokyo - Ideas? 2014/8/24 19:44
I do a lot of road trips (I live in Gunma), and its SUCH a great way to see Japan! You can head to major cities, but on the way stop at some really wonderful places, so you can get the full Japan experience, while still hitting up some tourist spots for your friend! Here are some of the road trips I've done, which I recommend:

Tohoku: We did the Tohoku Sandai Matsuri, which isn't viable in October, but the principle is the same... Tohoku is a GREAT region to explore by car! From Tokyo, head north to Aizu-Wakamatsu in Fukushima, then up to Yamadera, Yamagata. Cross over into Akita or head to Iwate or even Aomori if you have time; the Oirase gorge, Lake Towada, Lake Tawako, and Sannai areas are all good, as are Nyuto Onsen. Head back down through Niigata, then back to Tokyo.

Noto Peninsula (Ishikawa/Toyama area): Head toward Kanazawa, from Tokyo you'd probably go through Gifu and Nagano. Explore the rural Noto peninsula and surrounding areas. Optional: Fukui or Gunma.

Kansai area: Bypass Osaka and Kyoto for Shiga (Hikone), Nara, and Mie prefectures. Hit some of the lesser-known but still wonderful sites. Optional: add in Wakayama, and swing up to either Nagoya or Kiso Valley on the way back.

Kouyou and Mountains: Tochigi/Ibaraki/Gunma prefectures for fall colors, gyouza, and some awesome onsen. Start by heading into Ibaraki's Mito and norther areas for great sights like Fukuroda falls. Then across to Tochigi for Utsunomiya's gyoza, and to Nikko if you've got some non-weekend time (remember, Nikko gets EXTRA crowded in fall color time, so beware!), and visit Okunikko if you can. Back into Gunma to either the Minakami area or the Kusatsu area for some great onsen. If you've got time, hit Karuizawa or even into Nagano.

Have an awesome road trip! You will enjoy it so much!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: 4-day Road Trip From Tokyo - Ideas? 2014/8/25 15:35
Thanks, Scarreddragon - those are some very good suggestions. How likely are we to be able to see any koyo in mid-October on those routes? Maybe very high in the mountains only?
by Deeg67 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread