Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/24 20:02
I have to choose between go to Kanazawa / Takayama on Sunday from Kyoto. I only have 5 hours to explore there, from 10 am-2 pm, and then I must go to Shirakawa-Go. Where should I choose? And the cost to Takayama is higher 2500 yen than go to Kanazawa.Thx
by sun (guest)  

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/25 13:30
Considering the limited time, I recommend Kanazawa. Transportation wise you will lose less time.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/26 07:58
Kanazawa for sure! All the sites to see are close together. Since you are short on time I would look at a map and make sure you make the most of the time you have by planning out which sites to see. There is a loop bus (500 yen for a 1 day pass) and it only goes in one direction. You could also walk to each site (town is not big) but it will eat into your site seeing time. I would recommend going to Ninjadera (need a reservation) and the gold museum (there is a gold shop around the corner you can go into)
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/26 12:19
@ Uji, ok Thx ;)

I would recommend going to Ninjadera (need a reservation)

can I make a reservation via email? and i read the tour is held in japanese. I think i will go to omicho market for lunch, chaya, n kenrokuen. is that to rush?
by sun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/27 20:22
It is possible to make your reservation upon arrival at the temple, but there is no guarantee that you will be able to enter soon. Otherwise, I think you must call. You could however, go to the tourist information center in Kanazawa Station when you arrive and ask them to call for you and give you a time. The reservation time could take away from other sightseeing, but it's possible.

The tours are in Japanese, but they will hand you a book so that you can follow along. They're quite strict with their rules, so be aware of them. The temple has a bit of a reputation for being unwelcoming, but the temple and tour are worth it.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/28 00:36
What do u mean by unwelcoming n stricht?
Are they will showing us the trap door or something like that?
by sun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/28 01:04
With limited time, I'd take a taxi to Omicho for an early lunch, walk along by the castle walls to Kenrokuen, and then go to the 21st Century Modern Art Museum before taking another cab to pick up the bus to Shirakawago.

The samurai and ochaya districts are OK (but, apart from the place that does gold leaf and has a gold leaf wall, which is a great way to spend 15 mins), but in limited time you have I'd skip them in favour of the things above (which are all close together and are all world-class imho).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/28 02:08
How much the taxi cost average?
by iren (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/28 06:31
What do u mean by unwelcoming n stricht?
Are they will showing us the trap door or something like that?

They are not unwelcoming, just formal. Ninjadera is old and has many trap door and secret areas, they just want you to stay with the group and be respectful.
It is amazing to visit and they do give you a booklet with all the facts and information. Easy to understand and follow along. Just know you are only allowed inside for your tour, no lingering after. It is amazing and clever ninja design.
No sure where u r staying in Kyoto but the front desk should be able to call and make a reservation for you. The reservation phone number is on Japan-guide.
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/28 08:59
Taxi will be cheap: Kanazawa is a small place.

You can take the Y500 loop bus, but if you are pushed for time then a taxi both ways will be a good way to save you half an hour.

Assuming it costs you a lot of money to get to Japan then the cost of a couple of taxi rides are irrelevant versus not seeing some great sites
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Kanazawa 2014/8/28 15:41
How much average time will u spend in ninjadera tour?
by iren (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread