Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Higashiyama Kyoto to Places of Interest 2014/8/26 10:50
We will be staying in the Higashiyama district not too far from the subway station.

What is the best way to get around the city? Train or bus based on our location?

We intend to see the Gion district and Kiyomizudera on the first day and Ginkakuji, Kinkakuji, Nijo on the second and Arashiyama on the third day before returning to Tokyo.

I read that it may not always be good to travel by bus due to the distances and traffic during certain periods. Will travel by train be possible or a combination of both at certain times?
by Bart (guest)  

Re: Higashiyama Kyoto to Places of Interest 2014/8/26 13:08
A combination of Subway and Bus is the best way to go in Kyoto. In general the bus in Kyoto is relatively easy to use, they have monitor indicating what is the name for the next bus stop etc. For some of the more famous stops, there will be a broadcast in English.

You could check Kyoto Bus website for the routes of the bus etc.

http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/visitkyoto/en/info_required/transportation/ac...

and most importantly:
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

Check the 2 PDF file below of the second link.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama Kyoto to Places of Interest 2014/8/26 13:35
Which subway station? There are several in Higashiyama.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama Kyoto to Places of Interest 2014/8/26 17:37
Higashiyama station itself. Our ryokan is just a 5 min walk away so train would be the most convenient way to get around except that most guides, people indicate that buses are the best way to travel to see the sights. I am thinking at which times of the day should I avoid buses....what are the peak hours of travel in Kyoto?

My fear is that I might end up taking the correct bus service but in the wrong direction so I'd end up somewhere else since I don't speak Japanese and I can't be too sure that I'll meet people who can help.
by Bart (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama Kyoto to Places of Interest 2014/8/26 21:45
Higashiyama station itself. Our ryokan is just a 5 min walk away so train would be the most convenient way to get around except that most guides, people indicate that buses are the best way to travel to see the sights.

Kyoto is a kind of basin where many people are living in the flatland in the center and subway is running in the midline. On the other hand, most touristic temples/shrines are located in the periphery of the basin where the mountains range. Famous temples/shrines such as Kinkakuji, Kiyomizudera, Ginkakuji, Fushimi-Inari have there mountain behind them which makes them attractive.

You will stay near Higashiyama station but most of the temples listed above are not so close to any stations. They are 2 to 3 km away from the nearest station. There are buses which take you to them, but in many cases, the bus stops are still 0.5-0.8 km away from them. Therefore, if you are in a tight budget and you have much time, you may better take buses. You must struggle very complex bus map along the way. You must find right bus stop, choose right bus, get off at the right bus stop, and walk to the right direction. Another option is take a taxi to your destination, walk along (there are so many things to see in Kyoto), get to the next destination, walk further and then take a taxi to your ryokan. In some cases (Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama), subway and train are best bet, but in many cases, you might better consider taxi, which will save your time and ease in mind. In Kyoto, the best way of transportation is always walk, but if your time is limited consider train (including subway) and then taxi. If you see the bus stop in front of you and there is a right bus waiting which has vacant seats, do not hesitate to take it. But if you must search for the bus stop and then wait for long time, just walk or take a taxi.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama Kyoto to Places of Interest 2014/8/26 23:56
For ARASHIYAMA, take the subway from HIGASHIYAMA eki (station) toward NIJO. Go to the end of the line. When you exit there will be a streetcar line on the main street take it toward the right and ride to the end. That will be ARASHIYAMA station. You will be almost across the street from a large temple, Tenryuji. Go thru Tenryuji and go out the north exit. It is right on the Bamboo Path.
If you want similar details of getting to other places, you may e-mail me. Just click on my name.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Higashiyama Kyoto to Places of Interest 2014/8/27 07:49
Yes that seems quite useful and the map too is great. Thanks.
by Bart (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread