Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/8/30 08:19
So it looks like I'll be changing jobs and moving from Okinawa to Yokosuka.

I'm not overly fond of the idea of living in Yokosuka itself, though it seems a nice enough place from my one day visit, it just seems like it might be more fun to live in Yokohama. I have a reasonably good housing allowance, so cost isn't a major factor.

I'm currently looking at Naka-ku, but I don't know if this is a livable area or if there are other areas I should consider.

It's looking like a 45 minute commute depending on where in Yokohama I live, which doesn't seem horrible, though longer than I'd like. I'd like to be someplace lively and interesting, preferably close to Keikyo and on the central or south side of Yokohama for easier commute, and generally friendly and walkable for groceries and such. I plan to leave my car at work most of the time (I do home visits, so it's really for that) and have a motorcycle for anything for which I don't want to use public transport.

I've never commuted by train before, so I don't know if this length of time, these directions at these times of days, and other issues will make this a great experience or a horrible experience. I feel like a train commute should be less stressful than a car commute, but I'd love to hear other opinions.

Sadly, Yokohama wasn't on my radar when I took a trip to mainland, so I didn't wander around there and get a feel for things.

So does this sound like a terrible plan based on commuting issues and Yokosuka living vs. Yokohama living?

If not, what areas of Yokohama might I want to check into (I'll have a couple/few months stay in temporary housing while I look for a place, so no massive rush, just trying to narrow the focus a bit)?

Thanks!
by Smiley (guest)  

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/8/30 11:21
I'm not going to be terribly helpful to you, but I had a cousin living in Yokohama whose (ex) boyfriend was military and lived on Yokosuka. The housing for him on base was very college dorm-like. Living off base will give you a lot more flexibility, freedom, and space, and I think living in Yokohama is definitely doable!

I think then that your major concern is finding a place in relation to a train line that will give you the easiest commute, so looking for a direct shot. Rush hour times (morning and evening) will be crowded, but that's the reality. Unfortunately, I can't remember the area she used to live, so I can't give advice on that.

Good luck!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/8/30 21:35
Thanks for the info, scarreddragon!

I hoped it might be likely that I'd be going the opposite way from most commuters since I presume most go into Yokohama (from the south) for work, or pass through it headed to Tokyo.

Either way, a good chance to people watch.

Worst case scenario is I set a 7 month lease and move closer to work at the end of that 7 months. I'm not military, so I can pick where I want to live. I don't personally see the point of living on base unless I had to, my whole reason for working overseas various places is to learn about and experience the culture of my host country.

I found what looks to be a nice house right downtown:

http://www.yokohama-apartment.com/isezakicho-annex-a6

It appears to be near the Keikyu line, which is perfect for me. Do you happen to know if that's a nice area in which to live?
by Smiley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/8/31 01:56
Good luck with the Yokohama apartment outfit, I have found that it's almost impossible to get in there.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/8/31 06:05
Guest, would you mind elaborating? What was the difficulty?

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/8/31 22:04
First of all, it's extremely common for people to live in Yokohama-shi and commute to Yokosuka-shi.

Secondly, when commuting by train, be specific about what station you are commuting to. For example, there are many train stations within Yokosuka-shi, not only for Keikyu (I don't know what "Keikyo" is) but also for JR. Be sure you know the address of your work place as well as your commuting route, because a train station within the shortest distance may not always be the train station you should be getting off considering the streets you want to walk through.

Now, let's say you are getting off at Keikyu Yokosuka-chuo station. The fast tokkyu and kaitoku type trains stop at Yokosuka-chuo, skipping many smaller stations on the way. By living near stations like Kamioooka or Kanagawa-shinmachi, you will have easier access to those fast trains. Meanwhile, if you live near Koganecho (like the apartment on the link), you will have to change trains.

Also, during rush hours there tend to be less numbers of slower trains, so you may want to look at your railway's time table before deciding where to live.

Like any ku, Naka-ku is vast. The Yamate area is the most foreign-resident-friendly, so it may not be your first choice, keeping in mind that you want to experience Japan. Koganecho is not bad, with it's peaceful cafes and big river, but let's keep in mind that they renovated the whole town from what was once the prostitution district. If you have children, it wouldn't be your first choice, although now that it's Greenich Village-y, the area is very safe and crowds gather once it's cherry blossom season (which may or may no be good for you depending on how close you want to be to crowds).

Actually, many families choose to live near Kamioooka station nowadays. This station itself is getting more and more convenient with mid-sized department stores, and the neighboring station of Gumyoji is known for it's "shitamachi" old-town feel. You can also find reasonable-priced groceries in the huge archade of Gumyoji. By the way, Gumyo-JI is a nice temple itself.

Needless to say, however, Yokohama station is the most convenient station in Yokohama-shi. You can go anywhere from there. If you are single and if money is not the issue, an option is to aim for one of the high-rises in the area.

But Yokohama station is also extremely busy. If you're not used to trains, I'm not even sure if you can cope with using that station every morning. Plus, while there is a huge wholesale market nearby (a Yokohama version of Tsukiji) it may not be the most convenient place to buy everyday groceries until you get the hang of it.

You might want to try contacting a real estate agency and discuss it with them. Otherwise, it may be nice to just live in a "monthly mansion" for a while until you find your ideal home. I hope you are utilizing Google Street View as well.
by Uco rate this post as useful

P.S. 2014/8/31 22:23
By the way, the house (it's not really an apartment, is it) in your link seems to be one of those narrow buildings that cram small rooms in. What you tend to get is no garden, hot roof and stairs to carry your vacume cleaner up and down. Then why do people choose to live there? Because they need the number of rooms for the number of people living together.

I think that those who have the money tend to choose houses with more square meters per floor. Just a tip.

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/8/31 23:18
Hi Uco,

Thanks, lots of good info, sorry for the misspelling of Keikyu in the initial post.

Yokosuka-chuo is indeed the station I need to get to, are the tokkyu and kaitoku type trains specifically on the Keikyu line?

Also, I'm a bit confused on the commuter pass in that I'm wondering if I have a pass which goes from Yokohama station to Yokosuka-chuo can I still use it on the non-express trains if I wish to do so?

It appears there are apartments near the Yokohama station within my budget, so perhaps that's the way to go, though I'm more interested in a livable neighborhood than necessarily easy access to other places (aside from my commute). I'm trying to avoid key money and agent fee, since those aren't covered by my housing allowance, which is limiting me somewhat in which apartments are available to me.

Great tip on a 'monthly mansion' would something like this company be what you're speaking of:

http://www.space-d.co.jp/en/yokohama

Any other suggestions?

Again, thanks so much, really helpful!!

P.S 2014/8/31 23:19
Also, I am single, so suggestions with that in mind are quite helpful.

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/1 00:30
Yokosuka-chuo is indeed the station I need to get to, are the tokkyu and kaitoku type trains specifically on the Keikyu line?

Each railway company has different ways of calling their trains as well as different policies for each name. For example, JR also has both "tokkyu" and "kaitoku" trains, but they're totally different things from the Keikyu versions. I hope this answers the question.

if I have a pass which goes from Yokohama station to Yokosuka-chuo can I still use it on the non-express trains if I wish to do so?

You need to specify your railway company and route when buying your commuter pass. If you're taking the Keikyu line straight from Yokohama station to Yokosuka-chuo (which is the common way for you), then you can get on any train that departs from any of the platforms along that route.

I'm saying this only because Keikyu runs no trains that require additional fees along that route. For example, if you are riding JR, that's another story. If you're commuting from Keikyu Shinagawa, that's another story too, because you have the option to ride the 200 yen plus Wing-go.
http://www.keikyu-ensen.com/train/wing.jsp

I'm afraid the Japanese railway system can be quite confusing as a whole, but once you learn about our own specific route, it's easy.

It appears there are apartments near the Yokohama station within my budget, so perhaps that's the way to go, though I'm more interested in a livable neighborhood than necessarily easy access to other places

If you choose to commute from Yokohama station, you can still dicrease stress by trying to use the ticket gates at the edges of the Keikyu platforms rather than the middle, because the amount of crowd and noise are very different.

You can also consider riding bicycles or walking to Yokohama station for excercise while living a bit further from the station, although I'm not sure if there are no-key-money housings in the area.

Meanwhile, if you are going to live in Yokohama anyway, Baybike can be handy.
http://docomo-cycle.jp/yokohama/

I'm also wondering if you drink. So far, both housings you've suggested are in the middle of drinker-friendly areas. Some may love it and some may not. Again, they are safe though, and mostly dominated by "salary-man."

I can't answer your other questions as I don't have enough knowledge on that. Anyway, you should do a tour all along Keikyo some day, all the way from Sengakuji to Misakiguchi and even ride their buses. As a person born in Tokyo and living in Yokohama, I truly think that Keikyu shows the "neighborhoods."

http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/transport/trainlinemap.html

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/1 00:37
Once upon a time, I lived near the Kamiooka.
There was a very convenient location.
You are to go to Yokosuka, Keihin or probably still useful?
If I could go to the Yokosuka Station Yokosuka, there is a convenient train station to the other.
Yokosuka Central Station 20-30 minutes walk from Yokosuka Station.
Shioiri station 5-10 minutes walk from Yokosuka Station.
Totsuka Station and Totsuka Station's a convenient town.
Hodogaya can walk to the station and Hoshikawa Tenno-cho Station Sotetsu line.
In addition, it is also possible to go up to Minato Mirai Yokohama and by bicycle.
Hodogaya I feel like downtown.
I think hill because there are many Yokohama, who was actually preview is good.
I went to high school in the slopes of the Yamate, but I was tired fine.

by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/1 08:40
Uco,

First, thank you so much! You are a wonderful help and I cannot even begin to tell you how much you have taught me!

I do not drink much, but I do like socializing, meeting people, and watching people, so I'd rather live in a place which is a little more active.

In looking at different train stations in your link:

http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/transport/trainlinemap.html

It seems that I should try to find a place near either Yokohama station or Kamiooka station in order to take a tokkyu or kaitoku type train to Yokosuka-chuo. I think living further north will make the commute time difficult.

With google maps I think the commute is about 10 minutes longer to Yokosuka-chuo station from Yokohama station than to Yokosuka-chuo station from Kamiooka station, but I am concerned that perhaps Kamiooka station area may not be as interesting.

What do you think?

Also, thank you for the link to Baybike, that is a great option!

May I ask how to write the kanji for 'real estate agency' so I can put it into google and take your advice to contact one? I know hiragana but only a very few kanji. My Japanese is only very basic beginner level.

haro1210,

Thank you for your information.

I did not understand everything you wrote but I think you enjoyed Kamiooka station area.

I think I would prefer Keikyu line since I hope to either walk to the US base from there (and leave my car parked right inside the base) or rent a parking space near there.

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/1 10:21
When'm from the US base, Shioiri Station and Yokosuka Chuo(Central) Station of the Keihin kyuko line is a 15-minute walk away.
Because the 25-minute walk from Yokosuka Station of Yokosuka line, a bit far.
http://www.kanagawa-kankou.or.jp/english/access/yokosuka.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokosuka_Line
If you like the place fun, more of Noge is better than Kamiooka Station.
Noge is a bar street, weekend is the off-site betting field, there is a zoo and the library should climb the hill.
You can walk Sakuragi-cho Station (Minato Mirai).
Time it takes to Yokohama Station also Kannai Station, but you can walk.
If the location of this map, it is not a hill.
Hinodecho station is the nearest that's Keihin kyoko line.
However, Hinodecho Station so full local train and express only stop, transfer is required in Kamiooka Station.
http://www.kanagawa-kankou.or.jp/english/access/keikyu.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiky%C5%AB_Main_Line

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/1 16:23
haro1210,

I understand now.

Noge area is a fun area but the commute might be difficult because of the train transfer.

Kamiooka area might not be very exciting but easier for the commute.

Thank you very much!

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/1 22:37
I am concerned that perhaps Kamiooka station area may not be as interesting.

Well, the discriptions for each area is just as I've already mentioned. That said, it's most common for locals to live in residential areas like Kamiooka and hop on a train (or even a bike) for Yokohama Stn. area on the weekends or after work. That's just how people have lived in cities in Japan. To many of us, it's more comfortable that way: to part privacy and fun.

And as suggested, I'm not really sure if you'd call Yokohama stn. itself "fun." It's full of bigger things like department stores and huge hotels, and people walk fast minding their own business. Places like Noge (which is the area of your second link) may be able to provide you with more "fun" in terms of watching/joining people relax after work. And you can commute from Hinodecho stn.

Meanwhile, you may also notice from maps that the Keikyu line runs very close to JR and Municipal Subway, and especially JR is a convenient system that takes you to all kinds of directions. You may want to live in a place that is close to both railway company lines. As suggested, Noge is close to both Hinodecho (Keikyu) and Sakuragicho (JR and Subway), but also stations like Nakakido is right in front of JR Higashikanagawa, except that Noge has a lot more interesting bars than Nakakido.

You can also try and see if your employer will pay for a commuter pass from Yokohama stn. while you actually living near neighboring stations. You can tell them that it's more convenient to use Yokohama stn. for its faster trains. This is a practical and common way of commuting, but nowadays that the economy is lower employers tend to reject those kind of requests. But if you have a commuter pass from Yokohama, you can travel to the station for free even during the weekends.

Actually though, people living in Kamiooka area tend to spend their days off right there, because there's already enough fun for them in the area. Like I said, you've got the conveniences while you can still go to Gumyoji which is sort of like a terminal spot for the older-town aspects of Yokohama. If you don't drink and don't go to rakugo, Gumyoji/Kamiooka area might even be worth while than Noge. It's totally up to your preference.

This is something else to refer to;
http://www.keikyu-ensen.com/stationDetail/33
http://www.keikyu-ensen.com/stationDetail/32
http://www.keikyu-ensen.com/stationDetail/28
http://www.keikyu-ensen.com/stationDetail/26

May I ask how to write the kanji for 'real estate agency'

It's 不動産会社
Maybe sets of keywords like
不動産会社 横浜 (real estate agency Yokohama) or
不動産会社 京急沿線 (real estate agency along Keikyo line) would help. Let me also write a note for other posters.

横浜市の京急沿線に詳しい不動産会社を検索するためのキーワードについて、いい案があれば、どなたかトピ主さんに教えてあげてください。

By the way, I've never used Google to estimate trasportation times, but if you can type some Japanese station names, you should use these. Tell us if you have trouble reading any part of it.
http://norikae.keikyu.co.jp/transit/norikae/N1?AN=0
http://ekitan.com/

And sorry I misspelled Keikyu after all!

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/2 01:51
Real estate company here, has properties such as Yokohama Portside district and Minato Mirai.
I think in some places,'s also possible to walk to Yokohama Station.
Please refer to.
http://www.kencorp.com/yokohamaapartment/index.html

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/2 06:08
Thank you both for your help, it has been extremely valuable!

When I arrive in Yokohama I will go to each station area individually along the Keikyu line as you suggested and look at the neighborhoods.

I have gotten in touch with a real estate agent and I will meet with her to be shown apartments.

I have learned a lot from this thread and I appreciate the work you have done to help increase my knowledge!

ありがとうございます!

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/2 13:23
What's your budget?

I live in Yokohama, Naka-ku, up just off the top of "The Bluff" about 100m from the foreign cemmetary. (very good area!!!)
If your transportation costs are covered, I would be inclined to pick an area within budget, and use the trains to your advantage.

For example, from Hyperdia, travel from my place to Yokosuka-Chuo would take 40min & cost 570yen.

I had a lady live just opposite from my apartment, who was in the US navy.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/2 14:51
And from my previous post:

Motomachi-Chukagai - Yokosuka-Chuo 40min, 570yen

And for Koganecho:
Koganecho - Yokosuka-Chuo 36min, 520yen

Not much difference!!!!!!
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Yokosuka - Living in Yokohama? 2014/9/2 18:23
Hi Sandy,

My budget is 350,000\, though that needs to cover all monthly costs (maintenance fees, utilities, etc.). I cannot use it for my transportation costs, as those are not covered by my housing allowance.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread