Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nakasendo Trail in December 2014/8/31 00:56
I'm planning a trip to Japan in December and my boyfriend wanted to get into some nature so I thought doing part of the Nakasendo trail would be a nice way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto.

I'm wondering if it is possible to walk the trail in early December? The route would be starting in Kiso-Hirasawa - Narai / Narai - Yabuhara - Kiso-Fukushima / Kiso-Fukushima - Nojiri - Tsumago / Tsumago - Magome

I'm looking at some websites for a few ryokan and they either have no December calendar or all the days are marked as unavailable (not reserved just not avail) so I'm starting to wonder if everything shuts down after November?
by ghostkat  

Re: Nakasendo Trail in December 2014/8/31 07:54
I'm wondering if it is possible to walk the trail in early December?

It depends on snow conditions. Usually, the trail seems to be passable, but after a heavy snowfall parts of it may be difficult or impossible to pass. If in doubt I recommend consulting with the local tourism office.

The route would be starting in Kiso-Hirasawa - Narai / Narai - Yabuhara - Kiso-Fukushima / Kiso-Fukushima - Nojiri - Tsumago / Tsumago - Magome

You mean you want to walk this entire route? Not just Tsumago to Magome? My response above only refers to the frequently walked Tsumago-Magome section. I think that some other sections along the valley are more prone to snowfall, especially the Toriitoge Pass between Narai and Yabuhara.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo Trail in December 2014/8/31 11:01
I walked the Tsumago/Magome part in early December last year, there was no snow and it actually was warm enough for the jacket to come off. We stayed at Hotel Kisoji. There is another part at Karuizawa which to my mind is a nicer place all round, and more worth the effort to get there, though Magome is interesting enough for a very short time.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo Trail in December 2014/9/1 02:06
You mean you want to walk this entire route? Not just Tsumago to Magome? My response above only refers to the frequently walked Tsumago-Magome section. I think that some other sections along the valley are more prone to snowfall, especially the Toriitoge Pass between Narai and Yabuhara.

Yes we have 4 days to fill up between our travels from Tokyo to Kyoto but maybe doing the Torii Pass pass part is not the best ideas. hmm..

There is another part at Karuizawa which to my mind is a nicer place all round, and more worth the effort to get there, though Magome is interesting enough for a very short time.

thanks for the tip! Karuizawa is on my initial list . I'm going to go back to my notes and do a little more research on this town.

We basically have to fill a few days checking out on a Monday and checking into Kyoto Thursday evening or possibly Friday. I thought this was a great way to get out into some fresh air and see a bit of the countryside.

we don't mind a little cold and snow but I just don't want to lead us into a bad situation.
by ghostkat rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo Trail in December 2014/9/1 04:52
Actually it would be a great way to see the countryside. The part at Karuizawa is a hike from the top of the shopping street to a temple at the border of the prefectures. Tsumago seemed very quiet during the week so I'd probabkly go on the weekend when the shops might be open. The walks are more bushwalks than anything - they dont drip history (which I had expected) but they are fun enough. I think there is a section near Hikone too, which is a lovely town.

As for the accomodation, it isnt unusual for the ryokans to show as fully booked until 3 months or so out. I can never tell whether it means that they are booked out, renovating, or just havent released the rooms yet (usually the latter).
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread