Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route in Nov 2014/8/31 03:28
I'm planning to visit the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route around 20 November. My plan was to go from Toyama to Murodo and stay one night at Hotel Tateyama before making my way to Matsumoto the next day.

However, I just read on the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route website that due to bad weather, the service may be suspended for the Tateyama Kogen bus so they suggest that visitors who wish to visit Murodo travel by the Omachi direction instead.

I wish to find out the following:

1) What is the best way to go to Shimano-Omachi from Toyama? How long will it take?
2) With this detour, would it still be ideal for me to go the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route? Should I still stay one night at Hotel Tateyama?
3) How much time will it take to travel from Shimano-Omachi to Murodo?

I have already booked my accommodation at Hotel Tateyama. Cancellation is free up to one day before. However, I'm worried that I will not be able to know if any of the transport will be suspended until the actual day so I'm really unsure what I should do.

Thank you.
by Winnie Lim (guest)  

Re: Going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route in Nov 2014/8/31 08:14
However, I just read on the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route website that due to bad weather, the service may be suspended for the Tateyama Kogen bus so they suggest that visitors who wish to visit Murodo travel by the Omachi direction instead.

This must be a warning specifically for November when heavy snow fall can affect bus operation. During the rest of the year, I would expect the ropeway on the Omachi side to be more prone to service suspension than the bus on the Tateyama side.

Extreme weather can generally affect your travels. Sometimes it just happens... It is good to have a back-up plan.

And that is exactly what I persnally would do in your position: expect that the buses will be running, but do some research about alternatives in case they don't.

1) What is the best way to go to Shimano-Omachi from Toyama? How long will it take?

Take the JR Hokuriku Line to Itoigawa and then the JR Oito Line to Shinano-Omachi:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

2) With this detour, would it still be ideal for me to go the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route?

No, with such a time-consuming detour, I would not call it "ideal" anymore.

3) How much time will it take to travel from Shimano-Omachi to Murodo?

About 3 hours. Here are the timetables:
http://www.alpen-route.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/timetable_02....

However, I'm worried that I will not be able to know if any of the transport will be suspended until the actual day so I'm really unsure what I should do.

I would expect the hotel not to charge a cancellation fee in case that buses are not running and you cannot reach the hotel. But you should call them and explain your situation.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route in Nov 2014/8/31 11:02
Thanks a lot Uji-san for your reply. Will think of other alternatives if the buses are not running.
by Winnie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route in Nov 2014/8/31 15:26
(I am Japanese, and not good at English.)

In Toyama, Masu-no Sushi is famous and tastes good.
Why don't you eat?

I think I can show you another good place in Toyama if I can good at English and I understood the meaning of 2),( I could not understood ) I could give you a more good answer...

http://www8.city.toyama.toyama.jp/kanko/english/e_product/p_03.html

It is very cold and may be snow in Nov in Toyama, be careful.
I am from Toyama and now live in Kyoto. Enjoy in Toyama!
by kuto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route in Nov 2014/8/31 15:31
Arigato kuto-san.

Yes I'm planning to try masu-no sushi at Toyama. Looks very good.

I hope it snows. Because I'm from a very hot country. So I like the cold.
by Winnie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread