Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How easy is it to get a dependent visa? 2014/8/31 04:06
I realise the answer to the above question might depend on what my visa status would be. I am not currently in japan, but I would get a work visa (instructor) when I come.
I have seen elsewhere (http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/living/livingabroadin/living...) that only professor, cultural activities or researcher would be eligible to bring dependents. Is this true?

thank you
alasdair
by alasdair (guest)  

Re: How easy is it to get a dependent visa? 2014/8/31 08:32
The website says

A spouse or children of someone residing in Japan with the visa status of Professor, Researcher, or Cultural Activities are eligible for dependent residence status.

Note that it doesn't say "only". In fact, it says just before :

If you are coming to Japan with a student or work visa and have family members accompanying you, they will need to apply for a Dependent Visa at a Japanese consulate office outside Japan in order to enter the country.

Which is closer to the truth. Any student or work visa will allow you to bring in your spouse and/or children as dependents.

The basic criterion for obtaining a dependent visa is pretty much the same for any type of visa: the consular officer must be conviced that the applicant will abide by the terms of the visa.

For a dependent visa, it mostly means that your income must be sufficient to support both you and your husband, since your husband will in principle not be allowed to work. If your income is too low, the visa could be denied because the consular officer could think there is a substantial risk that your husband will work illegally to supplement it.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How easy is it to get a dependent visa? 2014/8/31 09:21
thankyou very much for your reply firas! very helpful!
ps. alasdair is a male name, so my husband is actually my wife!!
by alasdair (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How easy is it to get a dependent visa? 2014/8/31 09:47
Sorry, I suppose I was Influenced by the other thread on the same subject which was posted at the same time. :D
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread