Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/1 10:56
Hello! I am planing a brief visit to Kanazawa at the end of September. I wish I had more time, but as it is I will arrive around 6 p.m. on one day and leave around 3 p.m. on the next day. Since my time is so short I am wondering how to maximize my visit.
I want to see Kenrokuen, of course, and I would like to stop very briefly at the 21st Century museum to check out the public installations. I also would like to eat at Omicho market.
I figure I have time for at least one, possibly two, of the following:
Ninjadera
Higashichaya district
Nagamachi Samurai district

Any recommendations?
Is there anything worth doing the night I arrive (besides dinner)?

Thanks!
by stbrian (guest)  

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/1 12:08
Ninjadera require reservation by phone.

Apart from that, you could combine Nishichaya district with Nagamachi Samurai district. If time is lacking, use taxi to move from Kenrokuen to Nishichaya/Nagamachi District.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/1 16:26
I did a one day tour from 10am-18:00pm in Kanazawa including all the places you mentioned by arriving the day before just like you.

Higashichaya - Omicho - Kenrokuen - Ninjadera - Nishichaya - Nagamachi

I found Higashichaya and Nishichaya to be rather similar. Higashichaya is bigger and Nishichaya is more on the quiet side.

The first day you won't have time to go into city center or visit any of the places when it's already dark. You should stay around Kanazawa station. There are big shopping malls around with pachinko center as well. Next day, I think you will have enough time for two of your options and I recommend you to skip Ninjadera, which is on the east side of the city with entrance fee.
by jmisugi rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/1 18:32
You could do (early) lunch in Omicho, then walk to Kenrokuen (10-15 mins slow walk), then whizz in and out of the 21st Century Museum and then cab or bus to the train station to catch your 3pm train quite comfortably.

That would leave you with the morning to fit in whatever other sites you want to see.

For me, the samurai district was OK but not amazing. The ochaya district is similar to the old areas of many Japanese towns (so, if you're going to any other similar places - e.g. Takayama - then you could decide to omit or cut down time there). The one place that I remember being unique to Kanazawa was the gold leaf shop where they have a wall entirely covered in gold leaf, which is quite spectacular, but which takes about 15 minutes.

I think that if I were you I might try to leave 99% of my luggage in a locker at the station on arrival, so you don't have to carry bags with you all day the next day and/or com e back to your hotel to pick them up, and I'd stay in or near either the ochaya district (my preference) or the samurai district, so you can have a night time stroll there and maybe an early morning quick pop by the gold leaf shop.

If you like contemporary art, be aware that the 21st century museum is world class, and would be worthy of a full visit.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/1 18:51
Agreed with Winter Visitor, both the Chayama and samurai district is OK but not amazing, and as mentioned Nishichayama is smaller than Higashichayama.

Leaving bags at locker is definitely recommended, especially if you opt to choose hotel near the samurai district or pretty much the Korinbo/Katamachi Area. This way you could just visit the sites in order and make your way to the station without carrying any bags with you.

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/2 04:45
Wow, thanks so much for the responses, vinces7, jmisugi, and Winter Visitor!

To follow up:

I will be coming from Takayama (via Shirakawago). Based on your comments it sounds like the chaya and samurai districts will be similar to Takayama's old town. That makes me lean towards Ninjadera since it seems more unique. jmisugi: did you recommend to skip it because it is more out of the way or because it requires a reservation?

I have seen recommendations to visit Kenrokuen either in the morning or later afternoon (or even to do both!). Do you think the time of day is very critical?
by stbrian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/2 09:35
Hmm, Chaya district is very spacious and feels kinda empty, and a lot souvenir shops, that's all i can remember for both chaya districts. Though I accidentally bumped into one of famous sweet shops in Higashichaya.
Takayama, the way I see it, is a resort town, just like other theme park. That is, while there are many historical sites in a way, the town is mainly for tourists.

If you will go to other towns with samurai/historical residence, you will not find Kanazawa samurai district particularly exciting, but I only say this because I had been there ... If you stay near the Samurai district, it probably still worth to walk there to have a look.

For Kenrokuen, probably do not matter unless you have preference of going at certain time for certain reason, photo taking for example.

Myoryuji (Ninjadera) is both a little out of the way from most the places and require reservation by phone, Japanese only I think, best use taxi to get there if you manage to reserve it, will save a lot of time.

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/2 16:56
The chaya districts are very similar to Takayama's old town.

I wouldn't want to put you off them, but - with limited time - they might not be that memorable if you're coming from Takayama (with the exception of the gold leaf place, but that's maybe not worth a detour unless you're nearby).

The samurai district is a little different. If you google it, you'll see that the style of architecture is different. However, one of the main differences is that it's mainly private residences and therefore they're shut off from the eyes of people walking around (although one or two of them are open to visitors if I recall correctly. I'm sure the main japan-guide site will tell you more about this, and help you to decide whether it's worth your while).

Kenrokuen is lovely at all times. It's more lovely when there are fewer people, but it's a big garden so you should be able to find some peace and quiet somewhere in it.

If you have time, my good tip is to visit the handicrafts shop which is just by the 21st Century Museum (on the road leading back to Kohrimbo). It has good examples of most of the Kanazawa crafts (string work, lacquerware, cloth, etc) and gives you a chance to see a small sample of things in a short time. It's also great for souvenirs.

If you like seafood, Omicho is a fantastic place for lunch. If you want to treat yourself to a deluxe chirashi experience, you'll find it there at good prices. Go early to give yourself the best pick of all the restaurants.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Kanazawa short visit itinerary 2014/9/4 13:01
Thanks again, vinces7 and Winter Visitor! I really appreciate your help.

Winter Visitor: are you referring to Kanazawa Crafts Hirosaka? Thanks for the tip, I will try to check it out.

My current plan is to try to book Ninjadera for something like 1:30 so it is the last thing that I do. I will go to Kenrokuen in the morning (we'll see how early I can get out there). Stop by the 21st century musuem and the craft shop nearby. Lunch at Omicho market.
I am thinking that is probably all I will have time for, but if the stuff before lunch goes quicker than expected I might try to squeeze in one of my other options. I just don't think I can plan on it.

Thanks again!!
by stbrian (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread