Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

currency change 2014/9/2 16:57
Hi,
i need some advice and help on changing money..anyone can help me to get current rate (buy/sell) on RM(Malaysia) to Yen. do we have to pay tax if we change money in japan?

thank you in advance :D
by deahct (guest)  

Re: currency change 2014/9/3 11:13
You won't be paying a tax, per se, but the rate you'll get will depend on how much money the place you're exchanging wishes to make off your transaction. There is what is called the "official rate" which is what banks can exchange currency with each other. You'll never get that rate. You'll get something near that rate. But how much "near" that rate will be determined by the place you wish to exchange your money. After all, it's a business and they're there to make money and not to be nice to you.

Another thing is how "attractive" your native currency is to another country. US Dollars, British Pounds, EU Euros are probably the most attractive and the rates for these will be the best. Competition between exchangers will be high, so they'll offer you the best rates for those while still making a profit. Other currencies, like perhaps yours, may not be attractive at all to another country and they may give you a very poor exchange rate because it may be more difficult to get rid of your money, so they have to make it up by making more money from you.

When a foreign currency is not attractive to the other country, it's often best to buy the currency you want in your own country.

This may be a good guide at to what you'll get at Narita Airport. http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html

Since your currency isn't listed, they may not even want your money. So it may be best to buy yen at home.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: currency change 2014/9/3 11:45
tq so much for ur explanation. so i think yes..ill will change my money here :D
by deahct rate this post as useful

Re: currency change 2014/9/3 11:56
I quoted Narita as my reference, but there are many exchange places in Japan with their own exchange rates. Because Narita doesn't show it, it doesn't mean you can't find a retailer that will exchange your Malaysian currency into JPY. But the fact that the banks at the main airport in Japan don't show the exchange rate doesn't bode well for you. I've heard of people buying USDollars in Malaysia and then exchanging them for JPY in Japan as well. Sometimes, the process isn't worth the time for the measly few Yen you may save!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: currency change 2014/9/3 12:58

When a foreign currency is not attractive to the other country, it's often best to buy the currency you want in your own country.

John is correct. MY ringgit is " basket case " in Japan. Get the ‰~ in Malaysia , or US $ if this is to your advantage.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: currency change 2014/9/3 16:08
yess tq all..already check USD is not adv to me too..so will change it home :D
by deahct rate this post as useful

reply to this thread