Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/8 00:39
I am trying to figure out transport around kirishima, but having a hard time finding actual schedules of the buses.

I will be arriving in kagoshima from kumamoto and was hoping of doing kirishima as a day trip next day starting early morning. Can this be done?

I wouldnt like to sleep in kirishima, since next day I want to get an early boat to yakushima.

According to hyperdia the train to kirishima jingu is only 45mins.

My plan is to summit takachihonomine, and maybe if I have some extra time, have a look at lake onami.

Can this work out?
by Michael (guest)  

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/8 12:26
I strongly recommend to rent a car for the daytrip. It makes getting around Kirishima a lot easier:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

Access to the trail head of Takachihonomine by public transportation is extremely inconvenient. Here is the bus timetables (Japanese only; the top link contains a map and most timetables):
http://www.city-kirishima.jp/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=2...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/8 20:12
would there be taxis at kirishima-jingu station, takachiho-gawara and ebino kogen?

I'm thinking it might be cheaper than renting a car at 7000/day

by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/9 08:15
Yes, I am pretty sure there will be taxis. However, there won't be any taxis at the trailhead. But there seems to be a public phone. The taxi ride will probably cost around 3500 to 4000 yen one way.

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/9 08:20
Must it be Takachihonomine? If you climb Karakuni-dake from Ebino Kogen, it should be somewhat convenient to use public transport.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/9 08:27
Going to Ebino Kogen by public transportation is almost equally inconvenient as going to the trailhead of Takachihonomine (same infrequent bus). Also, I find the hike up Takachihonomine much more interesting than the hike up Karakunidake. At least in my personal opinion, the scenery is much more interesting.

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/9 08:38
Uji, I just want to say the bus to Takachihogawara goes to Ebino Kogen and then Takachihogawara (including some backtrack). I have never been to Takachinonomine. From the information on the web, the route includes the edge of the crater which I may not prefer (sorry, I fear heights).

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/9 08:42
Takachihonomine is covered in loose volcanic rock. With every step forward, you slip back 3/4 steps backward. Some sections are rather steep and could be slightly scary for people afraid of heights. Climbing Takachihonomine is tiring, but exceptionally beautiful.

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/10 05:59
If you stick to the public transportation, the following schedule might work.

Kagoshima Chuo 6:27 (JR train) 7:09 Kokubu (Kagoshima) 650 yen

Buy "Kirishima Nottari Oritari My Plan" Pass 1000 yen at Kokubu station. All buses below are covered.

Kokubu 7:25 (Bus) 8:27 Kirishima Iwasaki Hotel

Kirishima Iwasaki Hotel 8:38 (Bus) 8:50 Onami-no-ike-tozanguchi (trailhead to Onami-no-ike)

Onami-no-ike-tozanguchi 10:50 (or 11:06) (Bus) 11:29 Takachihogawara

Takachihogawara 15:30 16:18 Kirishima Iwasaki Hotel

Kirishima Iwasaki Hotel 16:55 (Bus) 17:57 Kokubu (Kagoshima)

Kokubu (Kagoshima) 18:14 (JR train) 18:52 Kagoshima Chuo 650 yen
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/10 06:54
I think frog1954 just proved Uji's original point...
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/10 07:49
Actually there are only 3 buses/day that go to Takachihogawara (and Ebino-Kogen), and only one that goes back from Takachihogawara to Kirishima Iwasaki Hotel. Most tourists uses their own cars or rental cars today, so the needs for public transportation are continuously diminishing.

Re: Kirishima as a day trip from Kagoshima 2014/9/10 15:02
Thanks guys for all the info!

if a taxi is 4000yen one way, might aswell rent a car I guess.

Do you think it is dangerous to do takachihomine alone?
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread