Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1 year Japan - Cellphone (Many questions) 2014/9/12 18:36
Another dreaded cellphone question.

I will be in Japan in 2015, with a Working Holiday visa.

Currently, I'm looking for an internship so ideally I want a cellphone with talk and data.

Did some research, got confused, so I'm asking here.

B-mobile has this: http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2013/11/b-mobile-free-data-sim-will-low...

I live in Germany and have a cellphone plan, so I didn't understand anything written there...

When I reach the 3 GB (unlikely), will my internet be capped, aka I can't connect to the internet anymore? And since it costs 3000 + yen, if I reach this amount when talking (also unlikely) do I have to purchase a new card so I can call someone (but will someone be able to call me?)?

Should I get this, get a new sim card everytime the money runs out?

Does anybody else offer stuff like this (data+voice prepaid sim card?)

Or buy a smartphone from Softbank with a plan?

http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/product/smartphone/

Aquos Phone Xx 302SH (SoftBank 4G SMARTPHONE] Flat-rate Data Plan for 4G: Flat-rate of \5,985/month (including tax)) - This is the fixed amount I pay, with call and data included? Since there is no monthly cost for the phone itself?

Or a prepaid smartphone with data included and purchasing the voice (how does that work?)

http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/product/prepaid/ (Stream phone)

My phone works in Japan and is unlocked if that helps.

Thanks and sorry... I don't understand the English terminology for cellphones really well.

I'm also trying to work in Japan for longer than a year, so I'm not opposed to a plan but what would be the best option?
by asahana (guest)  

Re: 1 year Japan - Cellphone (Many questions) 2014/9/14 05:34
It is a POSTPAID NOT prepaid.

the 3***yen(15**yen for basic voice+unlimited low speed data@200kbps, plus option 3GB highspeed data at additiional 15**yen) is the fees you paid monthly for the voice+data service, and voice call will be charge separately at 20yen/30secs. No free minutes call.

you will need creditcard to signup and be chsrged monthly your creditcard. cancellation fees required if cancel before 5month after usage, after 5month you csn cancel anytime withno fees.

beware that the so-called highspeed LTE data is most of the time very less than the actual provider Docomo.
bmobile renting Docomo line and sell it to user.
you will be smilling if you cam get 1/5 of the LTE speed.
Average is 2-9Mbps.
by exbmobile (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 year Japan - Cellphone (Many questions) 2014/9/18 14:00
When I reach the 3 GB (unlikely), will my internet be capped, aka I can't connect to the internet anymore?

No, it just gets slowed down to 200kbps after the first 3gb.

And since it costs 3000 + yen, if I reach this amount when talking (also unlikely) do I have to purchase a new card so I can call someone (but will someone be able to call me?)?

As the previous poster said, this is not a prepaid voice sim. So there is no credit to use up. You just pay monthly for the outgoing phone calls that you make.

Does anybody else offer stuff like this (data+voice prepaid sim card?)

Not cheaply.

Or buy a smartphone from Softbank with a plan?

That will generally be more expensive.

I'm also trying to work in Japan for longer than a year, so I'm not opposed to a plan but what would be the best option?

A two year contract might be the easiest but generally not the cheapest. BTW, do you have a plan to stay longer than a year? WHVs can not be extended beyond a year, so you'll probably need a bachelors degree to stay longer.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 1 year Japan - Cellphone (Many questions) 2014/9/19 20:06
Thanks for the replies everyone!

And I do have a Bachelors Degree and I'm in the process of securing an internship so I'm hoping they might want me to work for them a little longer. I don't have to stay longer but it's an option (if they want me to, haha).

I also have around 2 years work experience and a degree which I don't know if it's accepted in Japan (Dual training programme)
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 year Japan - Cellphone (Many questions) 2014/9/19 20:13
I think I will take the b-mobile sim card then...

I guess they only accept Japanese credit cards?

Thank you.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread