Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/14 14:08
Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko?
by Refractornut  

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/14 20:18
Last time I check people are not allow to take photos of Geishas. If you see them and you ask and if she says yes than you can. other than that you are not allow to take photos of Geisha. If you do try to pull some kind of trick to take a picture of them from a far distant and get caught you can get in trouble. Make sure you get their permission before taking a picture of them.

But

There is a person who travel to Japan who did a blog telling people where and how to take photos of Geisha. but even they said you cannot take a picture of their face. If I recall he said you can only take a photo of their back when they are walking away when or they are far enough.

But... Lol

They are fake Geishas you can take pictures with. A Japanese guy I met who was showing me around told me some do charge a light fee to take photos with them.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/15 01:26
Gion in Kyoto at night I suppose, wait till one walks out of a building. Just don't blind them with flash or something.
by TheTripod rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/15 01:38
I am not sure on this one, but my guess is that you may have luck photographing a Geisha after a scheduled performance.

There is a Geisha Exchange Theater in Atami that offers Geisha performances every Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Atami is a Hot Springs Beach Resort Town that is between Tokyo and Nagoya. Here is a link from 2011, but I believe that the information is still correct.

http://www.atamispa.com/atami_ex/english/sightseeing/index.htm

Once again, I do not know if you can take photographs, but since they are performing in public on stage, I believe there is a higher likelyhood of the Geisha saying yes afte3r a performance, than if you were to come across one one the street on their way to a client.

It's at least worth a shot.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/17 01:03
Gion in Kyoto is the obvious answer, but I'd suggest Kanazawa. I liked the chaya districts better than those in Kyoto.

In the early afternoon I could listen to the Maikos practicing music next door to the Nishi Chaya Shiryokan (the nice lady there gave us a tour in japanese) and it was a much nicer experience than catching a glimpse of a Geisha running away from paparazzi-like tourists in Gion.
by ce. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/17 02:26
in Gion district around 6 PM is where they will come out. Look for a group of tourist paparazzi like you. Please be respect to Geisha and Maiko by not black their walk way and do not flash in front of their faces, it a big disrespectful. They are in hurry to meet their clients for the evening entertainment. It rarely that Maiko or Geisha will stop for a photo taken if you ask them. But it will be impossible if there is too many people in their way. If you want 100% guarantee to take photo of Maiko/Geisha, photo with them, watch their dance, play their games, and have a conversation with them, book a private dinning event! It little expensive but it so worth it!
by adventureguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/17 02:28
I found 2 Geishas in Kyoto, at some temple I don't remember the name. ( = w = ) But I asked to take pictures with them and they agreed (Just with nodding and smiling) Though I'm not sure if they were Maiko or Geisha.
by lemonkaru rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/17 09:33
I found 2 Geishas in Kyoto, at some temple I don't remember the name. ( = w = ) But I asked to take pictures with them and they agreed (Just with nodding and smiling) Though I'm not sure if they were Maiko or Geisha.

most likely they were tourists dressed up as maiko.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/17 12:08
As the above said, you can take pictures of them on the street around Gion. But then, to ask her to be photographed is very bad manner because it's not her business but obstacle.
By the way, real Maiko wear very sophisticated Kimono and walk fast on the street, I heard that as a country bumpkin. (Tokyo is a country from Kyoto)
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/17 22:09
I found 2 Geishas in Kyoto, at some temple I don't remember the name. ( = w = ) But I asked to take pictures with them and they agreed (Just with nodding and smiling) Though I'm not sure if they were Maiko or Geisha

They are tourists who dress up as Maiko just for fun and photos. Fake one usually casual stroll anywhere in Kyoto. Real Maiko/Geiko don't have time for that and they only walk straight to place where their client are. When done, they will walk straight back to where they were.
by adventureguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I photograph Geisha or Maiko 2014/9/18 16:25
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my question! Much appreciated. I suppose there is not much of a difference of the tourists wanting to take a picture of a hula dancer here. Politely asking permission would be the safest and most enjoyable way. A pretend geisha or maiko would be fine with me!
by Refractornut rate this post as useful

reply to this thread