Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/17 11:22
Hi guys i'll be heading to japan from the 6th of November to the 19th of November this year and was hoping that people would see my travel itinerary and spot any flaws or give other suggestions.
I will be travelling with my friend, we are both from Singapore and looking for really fun and adventurous stuff.
November
7 - Tokyo
8 - Tokyo
9 - spend half a day in tokyo then go to Nikko and spend the evening there
10- Spend the day in Nikko, see oze national park then take the train at night to Hakodate
11 - Hakodate
12 - Hakodate and take the night train to kanzawa
13 - spend the day in kanzawa and do an japanese alps trek
14 - continue the japanese alps trek and take the train to kyoto (staying in kyoto for the night)
15 - kyoto
16 - kyoto
17 - Hiroshima and miyajima island (leave in the morning from kyoto) and leave after dinner to mount fuji
18 - wake up in the morning to see the sunrise at mount fuji and spend the day at mount fuji and hakone and see the famous lake as well
19- continue with seeing hakone, mount fuji and the famous lake(I'm unsure of the name haha) and head back to tokyo after lunch to catch our evening flight which is at bout 7pm.

Really sorry for the long post but I am wondering if these plans are feasible?
for example,
- do trains and buses run to mount fuji at night?
- do i need two days in the japanese alps? and which part of the alps is the best to see?
- is there anywhere else worth stopping? we will kind of be travelling around the perimeter of japan. so along the way?
-we want to visit a hotspring but don't know which would be the best ti visit. any suggestions?
-Lastly is hakodate worth going all the way for since we will only be spending 2 days there? should we cancel that and leave more time for other things?

just note that we will be getting a Japan Rail Pass.

Thanks for your help :D
Regards,
Vikram
by Vikram (guest)  

Re: Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/17 18:27
dear vikram.

just by lightly looking in your itinerary i can tell you that it is not feasible and has quite a few flows in it.

1.there are no shinkansen or any other night trains
2. going to oze from nikko is not accessible by public transport along national route 120.
3. although major cities are connected by good public transport, expect to spend a long time in the road travelling to minor country side places of interest.
4. hakodate in hokkaido is very far away from the rest of the places in your itinerary
5. the shinkansen service to kanazawa will begin in 2015 if i am not mistaken (again not sure if there are any connection from hakodate even when it begins)
6. kanazawa is not the most recomended place of entry to the japanese alps, if you are interested in the northern alps then toyama is much better. also nagano is a good choice for the hakuba region or kofu for the southern alps etc.
7. 2 days track should not be taken lightly and need to be well prepared in advance, accommodations etc..
8. transportation to kyoto from any place in the vicinity of the japanese alps will take long time. (need to check on connection from nagano shinkansen to kyoto, might only run to tokyo.)
9. forget about making it from hiroshima after dinner time to mount fuji. it is too far away.
10. if your evening flight is from narita it will take you a good 3-4 hours at least form hakone so leave enough time

now about the Japanese alps, i recommend kamikochi not far from takayama, but there many other places like hakuba area, yatsugatake area and the kiso valley which area also recommended.

regarding the onsen well the kusastsu, gero or even kinugawa near nikko or okukinu are all options much depends on the amount of time you will alocate to that and if you are planning to stay the night in a ryokan or just visit during the day (it is called higairi in Japanese).

last but not least if you want to know more information you are welcome to contact me by e-mail i have been residing in japan for over 12 years lately started to offer my service in advising and building itineraries for personally catered Japanese holidays.

in best regards itay ekstein
mapit_om@hotmail.com

by tito79 rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/17 19:11
Why... did you even include Hakodate if you don't know if it's worth visiting or not?

There is NO direct train from Hakodate to Kanazawa and especially no night train. If you are set on this journey it takes around 600+ minutes, you have to transfer at least 3 times and parts of it won't be covered by the JR pass anyways.

There is a sleeper car train called Twilight Express, which starts from Sapporo and stops at Kanazawa.

If you leave from Hiroshima station from 21:58 with Shinkansen Hikari, transfer at Himeji station to LTD. EXP SUNRISE IZUMO (overnight train) stop at Nimezu station, transfer to JR Gotemba line and arrive at Gotemba at 07:03. You will have missed the sunrise though!

There are other ways to arrive at Gotemba station around 23:00 but parts of it won't be covered by the JR pass.

Oze to Hakodate takes around 463+ minutes, many transfers and it also partly not covered by JR pass.

Going from Nikko to Oze takes at least 183 minutes...

I would take a good look at Japan Guide, try to see the distance between each destinations you wanan visit and check if it's feasible. They are not.

You are gonna spend a lot of time (pointlessly) travelling back and forth.

2 days Tokyo, one day Nikko, then Fuji/Hakone overnight, then the Japanese alps (Nagano maybe), then Kyoto, maybe Hiroshima, back to Tokyo.

And sunrise at Mt. Fuji? Do you wanna climg it? Trails are closed from late September to June... fyi
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/17 20:45
If you leave out Hakodate I would stay overnight in Miyajima.

And apologies for the spelling errors...

I meant *climb Mt. Fuji
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/17 21:34
If your not planning to return to Japan after this trip and don't go to Hakodate. if you are planning to return to Japan in the future, then yes go to Hakodate and get it out the way.

plus i don't think there to much in Miyajima to be staying there overnight
by SomeGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/19 14:05
thanks for the amazing replies and suggestions guys. I have done another itinerary excluding hakodate. Can I get your view on this?

November
6- Spend the evening in Tokyo
7- Spend the day in Tokyo
8- Spend the day in Tokyo
9- Spend the morning in Tokyo and leave to the Japanese Alps and spend the night there
10- Japanese alps trek
11- Japanese alps trek
12- Head to Kyoto in the morning and spend the remaining day there
13- spend the day in Kyoto and visit Nara
14- Spend the day in Kyoto and stay overnight
16- Hiroshima and Miyajima island then leave for Osaka at night and stay there
17- leave osaka and head to Hakone and Mount Fuji
18- watch the Sunrise at mount Fuji and see the Fuji 5 Lakes and Hakone
19- Leave in the afternoon to Tokyo to catch evening flight back

Am I spending too much time in Tokyo?
And also to clarify: i'm not sure which Trek to go on cause in November very few treks run to the alps? We want to stay overnight during the trek. Could you suggest a good 2 day one night trek in the alps? I was thinking about kamikochi but I saw that in November it is dangerous? Please do advice thanks.
by Vikram (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/19 17:59
this itinerary looks much more feasible,
if you are thinking that you are spending too much time in Tokyo you can definitely
consider Nikko as a day trip although I recommend staying over night.
the beautiful autumn colours will be reaching its middle lower parts by then.
Also yokohama and especially kamakura are worth while side trips that can be done on the same day.

going back to the tracking issue, the dates you are planning are kind of on the border line, although many places are possible to track during November, you might encounter snow or ice on the higher attitudes. so if you have the right gear, you should be ok.
if you really in to doing an overnight track some tracks have possibility for a night stay in a mountain lodge (yamagoya) but you have to book on advance and check if there are still operating on those dates.
one more point to consider that many of the information on the passes is mainly in Japanese letters and might make you confused. if you do decide to go be well prepared, or maybe consider to separate day tracks instead.

you can find good information on this web site,
http://japanhike.wordpress.com/
and can also research individual hikes on the web, although once again most info is in Japanese.
good luck
Am I spending too much time in Tokyo?
And also to clarify: i'm not sure which Trek to go on cause in November very few treks run to the alps? We want to stay overnight during the trek. Could you suggest a good 2 day one night trek in the alps? I was thinking about kamikochi but I saw that in November it is dangerous? Please do advice thanks.

Re: Advise on 14 day Japan trip Itinerary 2014/9/19 18:12
I meant you might wan to consider o do 2 separate day tracks instead .

reply to this thread