Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Snow around Gifu 2014/9/17 23:48
I am planning to visit Chubu area (Nagoya, Gifu) in early November 2014 (about 7 - 14 Nov). I wonder, if I can find the snow around Chubu area at these time. If I visit Shirakawago or Kanazawa, can I find the snow there? Or maybe you have any suggestion?
Thank you in advance!
by kutaki  

Re: Snow around Gifu 2014/9/18 16:14
I found this on a ski-related website:

Q: When does it snow in Shirakawago?

A: Usually, it starts to snow from the end of November to the beginning of December. You can see a large pile-up of snow between January and February and lingering snow until April. Shirakawago is designated as a "Heavy Snow Area" and, at some parts, snow accumulates well over 2 metres. Viewing such snow is another tourist attraction.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Snow around Gifu 2014/9/18 16:41
I visited both Shirakawago and Kanazawa in mid-November of last year and the only snow I saw was on the mountain peaks.
by sumisu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Snow around Gifu 2014/9/18 21:26
In early November you will probably be treated to autumn leaves in some areas but snow is unlikely at that time.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Snow around Gifu 2014/9/18 22:05
So it means that in early November is still quite hard to find the snow. But maybe I have chance to find it in Kanazawa or Shirakawago.
Thank you Hoshisato, Sumisu & Rabbityama for the answers!
by kutaki rate this post as useful

Re: Snow around Gifu 2014/9/19 04:46
You might have a better chance at Hakuba which sometimes gets early snow. It is easy enough to get to Hakuba from Nagoya, via Nagano (travel out through the Kiso Valley and past Matsumoto to Nagano).
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Snow around Gifu 2014/9/19 13:03
Many thanks Lazy Pious!
Now I am considering to go to Sapporo since I found that Jetstar Japan is offering a good deal for domestic route. But also thingking to go to Hakuba or Nagano instead.
Sapporo/Hokkaido and Hakuba/Nagano, which one is more beautiful in the winter?
by kutaki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread