Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation from Shiragawa to Johana Stn 2014/9/19 12:46
Calling for your help. i stay at Wadaya gesso on Oct 26 & leave on Oct 27. I need to catch my 10:15 train from Johana station. However, I find only one Kaetsuno bus leaves Ogimachi at 7:05 to Johan at 8:15. It means I have to wait for 2 hours at train station. Could anyone help me advise:
1/ if there is any other bus or taxi option I can consider to Johana station
2/ if Wadaya is at Ogimachi or Shiragawa bus station. I'm a bit confused between Shiragawa & Ogimachi.
Many thanks,
Quy
by vo le quy (guest)  

Re: Shirakawa-go guesthuse to Johana Station 2014/9/20 00:59
In this webpage are timetables to be effective from October 1, 2014 for Kaetsunou Buses connecting Shirakawa-go and Johana Station / Takaoka Station.
http://www.kaetsunou.co.jp/sekaiisan/sekaiisan-bus-new.html
The earliest bus from Shirakawa-go bus stop (in Seseragi Park, near the tourist information office) is scheduled to depart at 7:00, to arrive to Johana Station bus stop at 8:15.
(If your destination is Takaoka Station and continue to take this bus, the gap in the bus fares will be 100 yen (= 1800 yen - 1700 yen); this scheduled arrival time is 9:20.)
Only major bus stops are listed, so it is not clear where this bus would make stops between Johana Station and Takaoka Station.

if there is any other bus or taxi option I can consider to Johana station

The next bus (departing at 9:30) should be too late for the 10:15 train, so there does not seem to be another bus option.
You are likely to catch the previous train 8:25 train. If you travel with a Japan Rail Pass, this train seems to be your earliest railroad option.
(A taxi fare to travel from the guesthouse to Johana Station (for about 44 kilometers) is estimated around 14000 to 17000 yen per car.)

stay at Wadaya gesso on Oct 26 & leave on Oct 27.

Gassho-zukuri guesthouse Wadaya is located along the road (Etchu-nishi Highway, Route 360),
about 420 meters roughly to the east of Shiroyama Viewpoint
and about 520 meters to the northeast of Wada-ke gassho-zukuri house.
(These distances are direct distances on a map.)
http://www.shirakawa-go.gr.jp/details/map.php?i=20
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5951.html
As you see from the maps, Shirakawa-go bus stop and this guesthouse are located apart.
It sounds better to tell the guesthousefs staff in advance that you will leave early in the morning and consult them about transportation.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

P. S.: Bear in mind bears! 2014/9/20 01:02
On September 4, Gifu Prefecture and Shirakawa-go Village issued news releases to warn about bears. (It is explained that plants to feed Himalayan black bears are in poorly bad crops.) If you are a single traveler, you had better be with other tourists and/or local people.

When you happen to see a bear / bears, if the bear(s) may have noticed you, please step back slowly and leave the place; if (any of) the bear(s) is not seeing you, please leave the place immediately. And, please soon inform Shirakawa Village of the bear(s) and the place, for example via a nearby shop or the tourist information office.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation from Shiragawa to Johana Stn 2014/9/20 13:06
Thank a lot, mr/ms. Omotenashi. I need to get to jomokogen station before 2:30, but according to hyperdia, the only option is to catch johana train at 10:15. So, it seems that i have to leave very early & 2hrs at johana station. I cant contact the Wadaya house because their website is on Japanese, which i cant read. I'll inform them via tourist info office. Again, thank you.
by Vo le quy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread