Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/27 07:31
Does anyone have experience using an US-issued Citibank ATM card in Japan in 2014?

1) Does it need to be a "PLUS" ATM card or just a regular ATM linked to my savings account?

2) Is there any processing fee if used at a Citibank ATM machine versus one at the post office or 7-11?

3) Any upper limit for withdrawal?

4) Is there a Citibank and/or Citibank ATM at the Narita Airport?

I'd greatly appreciate a prompt reply because I'm leaving in 3 weeks. Thanks so much for your help!
kt
by kt (guest)  

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/27 12:13
Does anyone have experience using an US-issued Citibank ATM card in Japan in 2014?

Yes, I have a Citibank account with a Citibank Banking Debit Card and have used it in Japan in May

1) Does it need to be a "PLUS" ATM card or just a regular ATM linked to my savings account?

Mine was just an ATM Debit card and had no issues at Narita, Sapporo or anywhere else I used it.

2) Is there any processing fee if used at a Citibank ATM machine versus one at the post office or 7-11?

I didn't notice any, other than the 3% foreign transaction fee Citi charges.

3) Any upper limit for withdrawal?
For me it was $1000/day but you'll have to call them to make sure.

4) Is there a Citibank and/or Citibank ATM at the Narita Airport?

Yes. I use Terminal 2 and there is one to the right of exiting Customs and in the main arrival area, on the right-hand side as you walk to the right, past the currency exchanges and tucked away between the wall and the stairs. Stay on the right as you exit right and you can't miss it. About 150 feet from the Customs exit.

I'd greatly appreciate a prompt reply because I'm leaving in 3 weeks. Thanks so much for your help!
kt

Have a great trip!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/27 12:18
Oh yes, you must have the funds in you checking account. I had that problem of having all my funds in the savings account and the ATM couldn't read my savings account info, so it wouldn't dispense the money. It took me a very frustrating 30 minutes in pretty humid temps and a bad mood with a 13 hour flight just finished to realize you have to put the funds in your primary account-checking. The ATM will ask which account to withdraw from, but it won't read savings, at least for me. When I realized that and transferred my savings to checking, it spit out those 10K bills with ease.

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/30 09:35
Hi John,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed response, as usual! What's bothering me now is the bit regarding saving vs. checking acct. You said your ATM could not recognize your savings acct. Do you think it has to do with the type of savings? Were you able to find out why it didn't work with your savings acct? I just opened a "Citigold" savings account and they told me I could use the ATM anywhere without charges. Now, I'm wondering if it's true or not? Should I take the chance?

Sorry for the lingering questions!
Thanks very much!
kt
by kt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/30 10:33
I was told by a co-worker of mine whose full time job is working at a Citi branch in downtown Chicago that I could use my card to withdraw from my savings account at the ATMs in Japan. It wasn't true. When I inserted the card and asked to withdraw, it gave me two options: Checking or Savings. Through trial and error, I figured out it wouldn't "see" my savings account and that there was a limit of $1000/day withdrawal. He, being a Citi employee, can have the highest savings, gold I think, by-passing the requirement of the minimum of $10K in the account. Perhaps things change for those who have that type of account. But mine is the regular savings account and, like I mentioned before, through agonizing trial and error after a long, though comfortable flight, and high humidity at the airport, found out that it didn't work for me. I've used it at Narita and Sapporo Citi ATMs and at 7-Eleven ATMs without any other fees other than the 3% foreign transaction fee, which I think is waived for those with a Gold account.

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/30 10:43
I have used an ATM only 2 or 3 times in Japan (I've entered the country 21 times) and it was a struggle to find one that would work.
Most everyone carries cash in Japan. Yes, it's very safe. I exchange $US for Yen at Narita. The exchange rate is better than in the US. I use a credit card for hotels and large restaurants. For 3 weeks I usually exchange $1000 and $500 or $600 for 2 weeks.
You can probably get money, if needed, at a Citibank, using your card.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/30 11:02
I don't belong to Citibank but I have other ATM cards that I bring with me. None of them charge any foreign conversion fee. I have had very little problem withdrawing money from the Japan Post Offices which are all over on several trips.

If I were you, I would try to get another account/ATM card just to be safe.....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/9/30 14:54
in Japan,
for personal use, "savings account" will be opened. "checking account" is used mainly for business use. in other words, cash withdraw system at ATM machine in Japan is designed by the assumption that you have one account.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using Citibank ATM card in Japan 2014/10/2 11:36
Thanks again, John, for your clarification!

Thanks Everyone for your quick responses! You've been a GREAT HELP!!

Cheers,kt
by kt (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread