Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/27 12:47
Can i buy japan rail card in Tokyo using my credit card on behalf of a friend? She can show her passport once she arrives. She cant buy herself coz she has no credit card.
by Carol (guest)  

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/27 14:24
What rail card are you referring to? The Japan Rail Pass? Some other ticket?

Apart from using an online store, the Japan Rail Pass cannot be purchased in Tokyo. It can be purchased through travel agencies outside of Japan in which case payment methods other than credit card should be accepted.

If purchasing the pass online, payment methods would depend on the online store you purchase it trough. Many probably only accept credit cards. Another issue is whether the online shop is able to deliver the pass to Japan or not. Some may not.

As for your actual question: it does not matter who pays for the pass, as long as the pass is filled out with the correct name and other data and the actual person with passport is present when the voucher gets exchanged.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/27 21:56
Tx Uji for ur response. I was talking of Japan Rail pass. Buying using my credit card in Japan and requesting the agent to post it to me in Japan, so that the tourist can find it here. Is this possible do u think?
by Carol (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/27 22:06
Uji said "the Japan Rail Pass cannot be purchased in Tokyo. It can be purchased through travel agencies outside of Japan".
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/28 02:53
He also said: "Another issue is whether the online shop is able to deliver the pass to Japan or not. Some may not." In my experience, most are. (For exaample japan-rail-pass.com or jrpasses.com.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/28 07:38
If they smell cheating(They check the visa status), they won't accept the voucher and no refund.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/28 07:43
And why exactly would they "smell cheating" when there is none?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/9/28 08:43
if you can find a seller who ships to Japan there shouldn't be a problem. You have to fill in the applicants details when buying it anyway. So when it's exchanged for the real pass the details have to match.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying rail card on behalf of tourist 2014/10/1 10:45
If they smell cheating(They check the visa status), they won't accept the voucher and no refund.

Short of outright fraud, you can't really cheat as they check your visa status before they issue a JRP. Your passport details have to match the order so you either qualify or you don't. Btw, you can often get a refund for an unused JRP exchange order. Check with the seller about their policies.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread