Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu porcelain: Anaguma please? 2014/9/28 13:35
Hi Anaguma: thank you for reappearing! I saw your reply on another question, and highly valued your input on a thread some years ago.
I need some advice:
We will be 3 60-70 year olds, staying in Nagasaki. Wefd love to go to Owachiyama, but are finding the travel time too long for a day trip.
We have seen other pottery towns ie Mashiko, Tanba, Bizen, and actually made some pieces in Tanba and at a private pottery in Sendai, and have been to Kawaii Kanjirofs home in Kyoto, so seeing climbing kilns etc is less of a necessity. We also love seeing the Noritake pieces being made and painted in Nagoya.
We have also seen plenty of mountain scenery during our travels: more would be nice, but not essential.
But Owachiyama appeals: its a question of priorities:
Our major interest is seeing the Imari/Arita porcelain being made, but more importantly, being PAINTED.
We were thinking that a day in Arita going to the Kyushu Prefectural Ceramic arts Museum, the smaller Ceramics Museum, Tonbai alleys , Tozan Shrine, (and having lunch somewhere...any ideas) would have to suffice, but none of those places seems to show the painting of the pieces being done.
Can you please advise? I would do this by private message but am unable with Guest status.
Thank you so much!

by fmj  

Re: Kyushu porcelain: Anaguma please? 2014/9/29 01:45
Thanks for remembering me. I only check this site when I can't get anything done and this is more fun than Bubble Town or Solitaire.

Unfortunately, decorating/glazing/cutting designs in the pottery is not a full time job in the samll "art" studios, and in making the pottery, that step is often done only a short time in a long process. You have to be a little lucky to see that step as you visit the smaller kilns. Sometimes the potter will be throwing the clay while some other workers will be decorating, but in the smallest, it's a 1-man show.

In Arita, you might check out the "Arita Porcelain Lab."
http://www.aritaware.com/global/factory/
With its large scale, there might be few workers there putting down glaze. You can also contact them via their page and see if a viewing of the floor can be arranged. Most potteries that I've visited, you have to be friends with a potter because the work space is small and clay covered. Some places have windows that you can look into the workspace, but in most it's out of sight. This place is large enough that you might get a good view. This one as most potteries in Arita are located near KamiArita Station, one stop beyond Arita (to the East). The main information center that can help you out is in the main station of Arita, though. I would stop there first and see what the info center can arrange for you.
http://goo.gl/ao7Crs

As for Okawachiyama, it's only a 25 minute train ride to Imari from Arita and to save time, you can take a 10-minute taxi to Okawachiyama (I think it was Y900). It isn't that far and with 3 people it isn't too expensive. The buses are a pain as they're so few (about 2 hours between rides) but they're only Y100 from the station to the town.

I looked for people working there just last July, but even though I got to talk with some potters, it didn't seem as if any were working that day. However, there are so many small kilns in a tight area in that town that you may stumble across something and be luckier than I. My guess though is that anybody working was in their studio which wasn't public.

I can't really recommend any restaurants. I go for cheap common food that's decent, and that's easy for me to find. The last place I ate in Arita was a noodle shop by the station.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/anaguma/14669995980/
In Imari, I ate at a Gusto next to the station because it was a very hot day and they had a drink bar (all you can drink-- coffee to melon soda).

Sorry I have nothing definite.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu porcelain: Anaguma please? 2014/9/29 08:14
Thank you so much Anaguma; this has been a great help!
I so enjoy your knowledge and advice: thank you again.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread