Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

IC Cards in Osaka for Students 2014/10/2 21:11
I will soon be in Osaka to study. I will be holding a Zairyu card and a commuter pass. Is it true that Icoca can only be issued go tourists? What type of card can I use for trains and how can I avail it? Can I use an IC card and still get a discounted student train pass? Thanks!
by Jenna (guest)  

Re: IC Cards in Osaka for Students 2014/10/3 10:43
Is it true that Icoca can only be issued go tourists?

Of course not.

In order to qualify for a student discount, you must ask your school for the correct certificate, which you must then bring to a JR ticket counter. Generally, only "real" schools (from elementary school to university) qualify, so in particular not language schools. If you attend a language school or some other "special" school which does not qualify for a student discount, you can stil get a commuter pass at the normal price.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: IC Cards in Osaka for Students 2014/10/3 12:36
You will be able to get a discounted student-rate commuter pass for the route between the nearest station from where you live to your school, provided that your school is qualified as an official school.

In Tokyo (at least) you can get a card that combined a commuter pass and Suica (the same prepaid card as Icoca), so I guess that should be possible.

And Icoca is available to everyone as far as I know :)

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: IC Cards in Osaka for Students 2014/10/3 20:12
Thanks for your help! Yes, the school is qualified to issue a commuter pass.

Wonder if anyone knows what a combined student commuter pass and IC card in Osaka is called? Can I use only Icoca? (I prefer just one card to always bring with me)

Thanks! :)
by Jenna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: IC Cards in Osaka for Students 2014/10/5 05:35
Train/Bus commuter pass calling "teiki(ken)[定期(券)]" most Japaesen using shoty "teiki" only usual.
"券(ken)" means "ticket" include card type(ICOCA or not) and using for many kinds one.
"Student pass" calling "tsugakui[通学(つうがく)]-teiki(ken)" usual.
No name general teiki means "tsukin[通勤(つうきん)]-teiki(ken)" mainly workers calling "teiki" only,too.
(include unofficial school students and more).
Commuter pass(ICOCA or not) are 3 types 1,3 and 6 month.
(6 month type is the highest discount rate but most expensive as one time paying)

ICOCA(teiki or not) provide/sales by "JR-West[JR西日本(JR-nishi-nihon)]" only
cannot purchasing at another rail campany lines/stations.
But from JR line to connecting Keihan[京阪],Kintestu[近鉄] and Nankai[南海] lines only
possible to make a "renraku-teiki[連絡定期]" as one ICOCA card.
(JR to JR is no limit all lines of ICOCA area if 2,3 and more lines connect)
So,Which names and line(s) station to station?
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

If non JR to
and JR to cannot make/purchasing as "ICOCA-teiki".
JR to some non JR(except above 3 rail campanies) make possible as regular type
but just cannot as ICOCA-teiki. (regular type cannot touching needs insert at ticket gate)
If non JR to non JR will be "PiTaPa-teiki" maybe but need credit card for purchasing.

If possible as "ICOCA-teiki" vaild for over ride fare adjust,no commuter pass route also PiTaPa
and more train IC card areas (Suica/PASMO in Tokyo and more)
and shopping at covenience stores and more by ICOCA regular charge(SF:stored fare) part.
by Livre (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: IC Cards in Osaka for Students 2014/10/5 05:43
oops,last second part failed by using copy and paste.

If non JR to non JR(except above 3 rail campanies)
and JR to non JR(same) cannot make/purchasing as "ICOCA-teiki".
JR to some non JR(same) make possible as regular type
but just cannot as ICOCA-teiki. (regular type cannot touching needs insert at ticket gate)
If non JR to non JR will be "PiTaPa-teiki" maybe but need credit card for purchasing.
by Livre (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread