Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko and/or Hakone? 2014/10/4 13:19
I need help! I have so many questions. I would love your help!

My trip to Japan is too short to do both overnight trips in Nikko and Hakone, so I have to choose. :(

I'm going in mid November and would like to see fall colors, see a lot of nature, japanese historical culture and hike. From what I'm reading it seems like Nikko would be the better option but I am told Hakone is also a must do for first time visitors for the scenic views of Fujisan. I'd ideally like to do both but which city do you think is best to stay overnight and which one is best done in one day based on my preferences?

I also would like to stay in a nice Ryokan (willing to spend around $400 - $700) with beautiful views, a private onsen, and a great authentic food experience. Will I be better off finding this in Hakone? Or is this possible to find near Nikko?

Is Hakone possible as a one day trip? If so, what would be a good sample itinerary?

Any advice would be great! Thank you, angim
by angim  

Re: Nikko and/or Hakone? 2014/10/5 15:18
Hakone is better.
Mid-Nov will be best autamn color at Hakone.
Also sun set will start 4pm-5pm.
I don't recommend to do one-day trip of Hakone.
I think there are many nice Ryokan at Gora,near Lake Ahi,Miyanoshita etc.
http://www.hakonenavi.jp/english/
http://japanpockettravelguide.weebly.com/
http://www.ikyu.com/ranking/?mlcd=JPN&scc=2&suc=7&df=01&hoi=2&are=1604...
by Hui Peng (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and/or Hakone? 2014/10/5 15:20
I would prefer to see lakes - Hakone.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and/or Hakone? 2014/10/5 17:08
Based on what you want to do, I would suggest Nikko.

- Perfect for the fall colours, particularly around the temples and town itself.

- For nature, there is the chuzenjiko lake and multiple waterfalls such as kegon no taki. You should be able to see quite a bit if you are planning to stay overnight in the region.

-For culture, it is the home of a number of famous and important temples and shrines including the mausoleum of the Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. Also Shinkyo bridge etc

Hiking can be had around Nikko and also in the Oku Nikko region which can be reached by bus. I would suggest researching and seeing if any of the particular areas take your fancy.

Also, it is definitely possible to find a great Ryokan in Nikko

Also, There are a number of day passes for use on the buses around Nikko or also the Tobu passes which include roundtrip from Asakusa in Tokyo, unlimited bus travel etc.

Have been to both Nikko and Hakone and prefer Nikko
by Main777 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and/or Hakone? 2014/10/5 18:10
If you want to see japanese culture, I'm not sure that Hakone is the place. And Nikko is a little overrated, IMHO (maybe I didnt get to see the best parts). Just to confuse you some more, I'd throw in a stay at Enoshima, next to Kamakura. There is culture, nature, walks, views, including views of Mt Fuji if you get up early enough. We stayed at Iwamotoro Honkan which has a good onsen.

Dont get me wrong,I like Nikko and Hakone, and would go back to both, but I think Kamakura/Enoshima is a great all round package, I'd probably prefer it to them.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and/or Hakone? 2014/10/6 00:43
It depends on which you put much importance, culture and history or scenery of Mt. Fuji and onsen. Both Hakone and Nikko has the colorful nature, lake and onsen. Only Nikko has the world heritage site. Toshogu shrine and the surrounding temples are so elaborate and, you could also enjoy hiking and seeing some falls.
I love Hakone but given your interests and possible time you could spend, I recommend Nikko this time. As Mr/Ms Lazy pious mentioned, I suggest you visit Enoshima/Kamakura trip for a day if you would love to see Mt.Fuji by all means.
by inexperienced tour guide rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and/or Hakone? 2014/10/6 01:15
Nikko is great and I definitely recommend it over Hakone, but be careful when you are planning your trip. Try to go during a week day that is not a holiday, or attached to one. During the fall colors Nikko is overrun with tourists and it can be hard to enjoy with all the crowds!

Kamakura/Enoshima is very nice, but I don't think it has the same ambience as Nikko, and from what you've written about your preferences, Nikko is what you'd prefer..
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread