Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

do japanese schools have communal showers? 2014/10/11 00:23
I know about the onsen but do japanese schools have communal showers too?
Are you required to shower with everyone after PE or after club activities if you're in some sports club?
I'm shy so it really bugs me.
by helen (guest)  

Re: do japanese schools have communal showers? 2014/10/11 20:38
I can only speak about the schools I've worked at or seen, but none of them had showers for students. There was one shower that could be used by teachers, but in my 6 years of working at JHS schools in my city, I never once saw a teacher actually use it. Some elementary schools and junior high schools have a pool. Students wash off before and after entering, but they are all in their bathing suits when they do so.

Maybe some fancier non-country schools, or high schools, have showers for their students, but my basic schools never did. I've been to about seven junior high schools.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: do japanese schools have communal showers? 2014/10/11 22:07
I've been teaching here for 10 years at both public and private schools and nope, no showers. It gets pretty rank when you have a class straight after PE! Students do change into gym clothes together though.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: do japanese schools have communal showers? 2014/10/11 23:04
Thanks for the answers! I'll stop worrying then.
by helen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: do japanese schools have communal showers? 2014/10/16 09:57
The boys and girls actually change cloths in the same room together? middle school and high school?

lol.. like THAT would ever happen in the USA.. :-P
by basketcase rate this post as useful

Re: do japanese schools have communal showers? 2014/10/20 00:01
Well not the way you are thinking. Kids come to school in uniform, but under is their gym clothes. Sometimes in winter they wear the shirt, sweatshirt, and shorts under their uniform but change out of that and into long pants. In summer they already have the t shirt and shorts on so it is just taking off the uniform. So changing together but not in an embarrassing way. Some schools do have separate rooms, and most clubs have a club room, so changing completely into club uniforms if applicable is done separately.
by Scarreddragon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: do japanese schools have communal showers? 2014/10/20 07:22
Also usually more than one homerooms class has PE at the same time so the boys and girls can use different classrooms to change.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread