Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5 Nights in Hokkaido, 4th to 9th January 2015 2014/10/13 02:38
we have only 5 nights in hokkaido, what are the best places to see and things to do?
we are 2 ladies, we want to visit :
1) Mt Asahidake, will not be hiking all the way from bottom to top, will be taking ropeway to mid point, then take the 1,7km 'strolling path' to enjoy the mountain sights
2) Lake Akan in Akan National Park
3) Asahikawa Snow festival
4) Sapporo
Are these all doable in 5 nights?

we also want to buy the Hokkaido JR pass(HJR), is it practical for use to travel via JR to the various places?
where can we get the HJR? at one of the airports in Hokkaido?
by Florence Yee (guest)  

Re: 5 Nights in Hokkaido, 4th to 9th January 2015 2014/10/13 11:18
You must ride bus also to Asahidake.
It will be 3 bus only per day.
And more, I don't know how you will access to Lake Akan if you will stay Asahikawa as base point.
It is not convinient route.
Will you rent a car on Jan although I don't recxommend it?
http://wakasaresort.com/asahidakeropeway/access/index.htm
http://www.lake-akan.com/access/
http://japanpockettravelguide.weebly.com/hokkaido-area.html
Anyway, Please be careful and reconsider your scheduling.
by Jason Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Nights in Hokkaido, 4th to 9th January 2015 2014/10/13 11:44
I believe Asahikawa Snow festival is in February not January, is there another one in January?

Lake Akan is kinda known as the hardest to reach National Park in Japan, will definitely need bus or car (not recommended if you have no experience driving in snow conditions)

Do be aware that there is no shinkansen in Hokkaido, hence the time spend on train is a bit longer than the main island.

What is your point of entry to Hokkaido?
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: 7 Nights in Hokkaido, 3rd to 9th January 2015 2014/10/21 07:30
Thx Jason n Vinces7:) after considering all the Info, inputs, and suggestions, plus some research done, I've come up with the following itinerary: appreciate your comments and inputs please, and if it's feasible, or too rushed...
3/Jan: 12.45pm- touch down at New Chitose airport 245pm- arrive, check in n leave luggage at Cross hotel Sapporo
330pm -8pm - trip out to Otaru
9pm - back to hotel

4/jan: 8am- 11am, check out , have seafood breakfast at Nijo market, walk around vicinity of Cross hotel( odari park, Sapporo tower, clock tower)
12pm : take free shuttle bus, pick up at JRSapporo stn bound for Choyo Tei ( Sounkyo Onsen)
4pm : Choyo Tei ( 1 Nite )

5/Jan: 10am -take free shuttle bus to Asahikawa Washington hotel/ Asahikawa Stn, (arrive at 12.05pm), then take the 1230pm bus ( 1430\) from Asahikawa Stn to Asahidake Onsen, Bear Monte hotel (2 Nites)

7Jan : 11:15am - take bus (1430\) from Asahidake Onsen to JR Asahikawa Stn, arrive at 1241pm, catch JR train to JR Sapporo ( estimate reach 3pm) ---continue on to JRNoboribetsu Stn ( estimate reach 5pm), then catch bus from this station to Dai-ichi Takimotokan, 1 Nite, (Noboribetsu Onsen) estimate arrival 530pm.

Question: the first bus out of Asahidake is only at 11.15am, if I want to leave earlier, like 10am, can I catch a taxi from this Onsen area?? This is because I want to get to JRSapporo Stn bfore 2pm, to catch the free shuttle , which leaves at 2pm for Dai-ichi Takimotokan , So much more convenient , don't need to lug luggage between train stations and later to bus station to catch bus!!! Also arrive at Noboribetsu Onsen earlier!!

8Jan: 10am- take free shuttle from Dai-Ichi Takimotokan to JR Sapporo Stn , arrive 12pm.. Check into n leave luggage at Cross hotel( 2 Nites) , then lunch at Curb Market, after that visit Chocolate Factory, Mt Moiwa, dinner at Susukino area( Ramen Valley)

9Jan : 6 hour Ski at Sapporo- Teine ski resort
4pm back at Sapporo town for some last min shopping.

10Jan : 630am head to airport
by Florence yee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread