Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Finding employment in Osaka 2014/10/21 23:27
Hi all,

I am married to a Japanese woman and we are currently living in Europe. Our goal is to move to Kansai area in Japan around January 2016, so we have a little more than a year to prepare everything.

At the time of moving I will be JLPT 3 level, approaching level 2. Furthermore I hold a MSc degree in International Business and have three years experience in (international) sales. My ideal job in Japan would be to work for a small or medium sized Japanese company, being responsible for part of the international expansion. Are such jobs within reach,or will it be very difficult to obtain one? I read a lot of articles stating that Japanese companies are looking to expand internationally, but I can imagine that they are hesitant to hire a foreigner. Does anyone have experience with this?

Follow up question: In case I cannot find a job within 3 months and I decide to teach English for a year to get a steady income, will companies consider me after that, or is it hard to switch from English teaching to a regular office job?

Since I am not a native English speaker, I am also wondering if it would be possible at all to teach English in Japan? I am willing to get a TEFL certificate, brush up grammar knowledge, commute to a more countryside town, and teach elementary school kids. Plus I would have a spouse visa.

I am sure my questions are far from unique,but somehow I feel more assured when my questions are personally answered instead of reading answers to another person's questions.

Thanks all for your time!
by Bennyhana (guest)  

Re: Finding employment in Osaka 2014/10/22 18:39
Follow up question: In case I cannot find a job within 3 months and I decide to teach English for a year to get a steady income, will companies consider me after that, or is it hard to switch from English teaching to a regular office job?

If you're already in Japan, it's easier to find employment rather than applying from overseas. I know of people who have done that (switching from teaching to office jobs). Plus you have the advantage of having a spouse visa which helps as well, as that would make the hiring process much simpler rather than going through the hassle of sponsoring you.

Since I am not a native English speaker, I am also wondering if it would be possible at all to teach English in Japan? I am willing to get a TEFL certificate, brush up grammar knowledge, commute to a more countryside town, and teach elementary school kids. Plus I would have a spouse visa.

Personal experience here as a non native speaker (but with a teaching degree and experience from Australia): I have been offered 2 job offers in the past, one in Tottori (rural) and one in Tokyo (city). So the answer is a YES...if you have at least a teaching or TESOL cert to increase your chances among all the native speakers.

Since you major in business, it will be beneficial to be fluent in Japanese. JLPT N3 might not cut it in the business environment if you're trying to clinch deals, write up proposals or negotiate terms with local businessmen. Aim for the N1 if you can. But of course, I'm just speaking hypothetically. If your company or job scope do not require such proficiency, then immediate Japanese at N3 level to communicate among colleagues should cut it. Maybe.
by Murakami Seirin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Finding employment in Osaka 2014/10/22 18:43
*sorry i meant to say intermediate Japanese at N3.

by Murakami Seirin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread