Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which pass is better? 2014/10/25 02:24
So there's a lot of passes and train tickets and all and I'm getting a little confused.

Anyways, 1st question. How would you know if a train station is JR or not? Especially if you're only looking at Google Maps. My family and I are travelling to Osaka and will be touring for 5D/5N (our flight arrives in the evening, which is why it's 5 nights). I'm planning on not getting a tour package since I'm on a budget since I'm paying for everyone (both my parents and all 4 of my younger siblings).

2nd question. :)

Which pass (Kansai Thru Pass? Kintetsu WIDE? JR Pass?) would be the best for this itinerary?

Nov. 20 - Osaka
Arrive at 8PM in KIX
(We will need to ride a train from KIX to Niponbashi Station only.)

Nov. 21 - Kyoto
Toji temple, Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, Kinkaku-ji, Kyoto Imperial Palace and then Gion.

Nov. 22 - Osaka
Plan is: Osaka Castle, Umeda Sky Building, see the Shinno-sai Festival in Sukunahikona then Ame-mura? (If there's still time.)

Nov. 23* - Nara-Kobe
Nara Deer Park
Ikeda (for Instant Ramen Museum)
Kobe (for Kobe Beef and Sake in Nada)
Return to Namba for Dotonbori

Nov. 24 - Osaka
Universal Studios Japan (JPY520 x 2 = JPY1040) - NOT USING PASS, will pay separate for train since Universal City is JR.

Nov. 25* - Osaka
Shinsaibashi, Nipponbashi, Ame-mura? (Only if there's more time)
Go to KIX

Additional Question - I'm wondering if it's practical to do both Kobe and Nara in 1 day since Osaka's somewhere in between the two. However, I don't know where to squeeze them in if not both of them in 1 day. We just wanna try authentic Kobe beef, which is why we wanna go to Kobe. Maybe see Kitano or the Sake breweries in Nada. As for Nara, we only wanna go to feed the deer.

Also! My aunt may be travelling with us, but she's staying in Osaka for 4 more days (her return flight will probably be on the 29th) so would the pass be OK for her? Or would something else be better?

Thank you so much!
by K Yang  

Re: Which pass is better? 2014/10/25 15:29
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

How would you know if a train station is JR or not? Especially if you're only looking at Google Maps.

If you're using Google Maps, hover your cursor on a station's name and a small box will appear - these are the lines that use that station. You'll want to look for a "JR" entry in that box.

When on the ground, look for JR's distinctive logo on signs, etc. (there's an image on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Railways_Group). The colours will vary depending on which particular JR Group company controls the area you're in, but the symbol is the same throughout the country. A lot of stations service more than one line, JR and non-JR, but their respective sections should be clearly signposted.

Also something I've noticed - JR routes are often marked on maps as alternating thick grey-and-white dashed lines, whilst private rail networks are solid or lightly dashed. This is not consistently observed in all places though (I've seen variations in Tokyo maps for example), so don't rely on this pattern alone.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

reply to this thread