Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 15:12
Hello!
We'll visit Kurobe gorge on the next 7th of november. We don't find some informtion we need:
- How long are the stops at each station on the railway trip? Is it enough to go out the train and have a look or not?
- If not, we are thinking about going out at each station and wait for the next train. Is it possible? We would like to reserve our tickets in advance because we think it is crowdy at this season but we don't speak nor understand japanese language and we don't know how to do. We leave from France on the 5th.
Thank you for all the information you can give us about this excursion.
Best regards
Mr and Mrs BRISSET
by BRISSET (guest)  

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 15:41
How long are the stops at each station on the railway trip?

They are usually rather short.

Is it enough to go out the train and have a look or not?

No.

If not, we are thinking about going out at each station and wait for the next train. Is it possible?

It is possible, but you will need to buy tickets for each section. This is little problem on not so busy days, but it can be stressful on busy days when many trains can be booked out.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 18:42
Thank you for your answer.
Do you know if we can buy all the tickets at Unazaki or not?
We would prefer to buy tickets in advance but according to what I read on internet, I think it's impossible.
Best regards
by BRISSET (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 19:08
Although weekdays are not as busy, it will be peak season so there is a chance that tickets could be sold out.

When I went to Kurobe many years ago, I purchased tickets before leaving home thru a local office of Japan Travel Bureau (JTB), who had the tickets delivered to my hotel in Tokyo. Perhaps you could do the same.
by ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 19:19
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 19:22

http://www.kurotetu.co.jp/en/ticket/index.html

(3) Reservation by Internet
Reservation Site is available Japanese only.

http://www.torokko-yoyaku.com/

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 19:29

You may try this email address for ticket reservation :

torokko@kurotetu.co.jp

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 19:45
Thank you for all your answers.
We visited the official website of Kurobe gorge, but it seems that we can't buy our tickets in advance, excepted if we understand Japanese language.
I've just sent an e-mail to torokko@kuroteku.co.jp. Thank you for this address.
I"ll try to find a local office of Japan Travel Bureau (JTB),thank you too.
Best regards to all of you.

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/26 22:41
I visited Kurobe gorge last November; reserved one way ticket to Keyakidaira thru the email I posted earlier.
I took the earliest train, and noticed plenty of empty seats, obviously the train was not fully booked.
My initial plan was to stop in each station on the return journey, unfortunately, despite of departing early, did not have time for that.
Purchasing return ticket from Keyakidaira was no problem; it was late afternoon then, most of the visitors already gone, and the train was virtually half empty.
By the way, you can only reserve one way or return tickets. If you plan to break the journey, you have no option but to purchase individual tickets at each station.

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/27 03:31
Thank you, We'll do the same: buy one way ticket for all the journey on a early train thru the e-mail address you gave us and buy the tickets for the return at the last moment, with stops if possible according to the time it will be.
Best regards

Re: stops along Kurobe gorge 2014/10/27 09:22

To have an early start, best you stay the night at Unazuki-onsen.
We chose Feel Unazuki hotel for its location , and highly recommend the place : http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=38252

We hiked as far as Babadani. The walk was very pleasant, the scenery as well as the colour in section of the surrounding gorge was stunning then, 4th November.
Upon returning to Keyakidaira Station, we had only ample time to visit the footbath below the Okukane Bridge, and had a relaxing 30 minute bath in a rotenburo near by .
Be prepared to miss the other stations if you decide to to this hike.
Enjoy the trip !!

reply to this thread