Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is my salary enough? 2014/10/31 01:10
Hello
I am mech. engineer with 10yr experience.
I have been offered a job in Nagoya for a base salary of 2,70,000 yen + half of the house rent. My question is can I save anything out of this salary. I am relocating from India with my wife and 1 year old daughter. Please guide me. Let me know how much I can save.
by Goocha  

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/10/31 15:16
that is the ave. salary for frwsh graduate in Japan.
are you promised any bonuses? which are paid twice yearly (summer/winter) normally from 2months.
with dependent (wife and kid) plus buying indian foodstuff instead of japanese, chances of saving maybe difficult but not impossible.
it all depend on you/family living styles.
IMHO 270,000yen basic (after tax/health insurance/pension) maybe around 220,000yen ..
will you be paid overtime?

hopefully someone will provide better information..
by mm.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/10/31 15:55
It will not be easy to save, but you also get 50% of your rent refunded, so I imagine you do not need more than 50.000 for rent. Do you get your commute to work refunded? That is very important with your salary. Your child does not need to go to school yet, so not that many costs there. I think it's safe to try it at least. At the very least it will gain you international job experience to increase your future salary.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/1 01:43
Many thanks to both of you for the quick reply. Let me tell you the bonus they offered is base salaryx1.5x2. I think there will not be any overtime. According to you what should be my take home salary ? For to save atleast 1,20,000yen per month.Please guide. I am still in negotiation stage.
by Goocha rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/1 01:53
Sorry I would like to save at least 1,40,000yen.pls guide.

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/1 11:23
As an Indian engineer (Chem) with 10 yr exp,( last 7 in Japan), I must say that is a below-par offer (even considering the bonus). I am assuming the number you have mentioned is post-taxes and social insurances(else, it's really poor). Also, the fact that you say there is no overtime income.

On a side note, you should be targeting a monthly saving way more than 140000 yen in Japan. That would be just about the savings in India for a 10-yr engineer.
You need to set the bar higher and negotiate further.
by NN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/1 13:42
Let me know how much am I worth dear friend considering my education and experience. It will help me negotiate.

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/1 14:38
So you are trying to live on 270,000 minus 140,000 yen for saving (monthly), so on 130,000 yen.

But there wil be taxes and social insurance charges, so if you start with 220,000 yen (according to a guess by "mm..") you are talking about 80,000 yen monthly for: half the rent, food for the three of you, utilities, and other spending. I don't think it is only me who thinks this is too tight.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/1 18:22
if you are a person necessary in that company, you may negotiate. however, if you are just an applicant who are looking for a job in Japan. you may not negotiate. they will find another person.
the important point is the necessity of you in that company, and not the ability of you.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/1 18:38
Saving 140.000 yen a month seems a bit ambitious to me if you are the only source of income. I would recommend you to negotiate the company paying the full rent fee for your apartment. That way you will be able to save at least 70.000. All the extra saving will be a bonus.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/2 17:51
Here is a clearer outline. The deal is below-par as mentioned earlier. However, you can definitely save the amount you targeted (if that is a deal-clincher for you, so be it). I would however, reiterate that you should definitely target more than that.

Approx housing cost = 100000, so your contribution = 50000)
Utilities/internet/phone bills = approx 25000 (I have taken the higher side)

You might want to consider the cost of 2 annual trips to India. If you book India-Japan-India tickets (the other way is ridiculously expensive), the monthly amount will be around 25000 yen for two trips (again,on the higher side)

Food for a 1-kid family should not exceed 80000 a month, assuming home-cooking (again, on the higher side). Of course, regular dining out will change the figures.

Your monthly salary says 270000,but with most Japanese companies, the bonus is a considerable component to be considered as part of the package(which mean your monthly salary is actually 345000, as per the figures you mention)

So now we have,
345000-50000-25000-25000-80000 = 165000 (which is above your savings target, but as I mentioned earlier, the assumption is that taxes and social insurances are already taken care of by the company. This amount is atleast 80000 yen/month). So, if it is your responsibility, the deal is clearly pointless.

If saving 140000 a month is all you want,go ahead. But this package is clearly underselling yourself. 10-yr engineers do get more than that in Japan. As Ken says, negotiation with Japanese companies is never easy. However, a 10-yr experience gives you some leverage and they wont be ready to discard you just like with freshmen applications.
by NN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/3 14:08
Thank you very much... This is most valuable.

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/4 14:28
Hello
Sorry it is not half of the rent company paying.Instead company paying 1900yen per square meter..upto 30 square meter...It comes around 57000yen...is it enough for full rent near Kamiyashiro?...
30 square meter is enough for my family(wife + 1 kid)?..
Please guide.

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/4 22:43
I may explain taxable income about apartment renting .

100,000 yen / month for an apartment. the company and you pay the same amounts (50,000 yen each).
case A: you rent an apartment. you pay 100,000 yen to the apartment owner and your company pay 50,000 yen to you. the 50,000 yen the company paid to you is taxable.

case B: the company rents an apartment. the company pays 100,000 yen to the apartment owner and you pay 50,000 yen to the company. in this case, the company's contribution (50,000 yen) is not taxable, in general. to do so, the company must decide your living place (apartment). if you choose an apartment, it is case A.

if the company pay a full amount (100,000 yen) to the owner and you do not pay any amount (0 yen), about a half of 100,000 yen (50,000 yen) is taxable, even if you do not get money from the company. you get the non-money benefit from the company.

if the company pay a full amount (100,000 yen) to you, the 100,000 yen is taxable (a part of salary).

everything is not easy.

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/4 23:00
if you quit the job,
case A: you can stay the same apartment.
case B: you are renting the apartment from the company. you will be requested to go out as soon as possible. in this case, it may be not easy to change your job.

in case A:
if you choose an expensive apartment, because the company pays a half, you may need to pay more income tax (and resident tax).

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/5 09:30
30 sqm is a living room/bedroom and small kitchen, a balcony, a toilet and a tiny bathroom.
Not enough unless you don't mind all 3 of you living in the same room.
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/7 18:17
Hello
Company is now paying full house rent upto 120000yen separately.
Now my question is...my basic salary 270000+commuting allowance (upto 100000)is a good salary for mech engineer degree + 10year exp?.
How much can i save at the ebd of the month.
How much will be approx. amount deduction tax+insurance+pension ?
by Goocha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/7 18:52
270,000 + 120,000= 390,000 is penuts for 10yrs experience
If I was you, I would ask for atleast 550,000Yen/month
If not you can save better in Hyderabad
by kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my salary enough? 2014/11/7 22:36
Help me understand commuting allowance...If I walk to the office daily.. do I get the commuting allowance in full.?
by Goocha (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread