Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Private onsen? 2014/11/4 12:16
Do you know any onsen located in Tokyo or Osaka where I can have privacy taking bath in the hot spring?or at least with my family?Is it required to remove all your? Can't we use a swimsuit?
Thank you in advance
by Areeh (guest)  

Re: Private onsen? 2014/11/4 22:54
I can't help you with any private onsens/sentos, but I can say having just done my first trip to Japan, the naked thing honestly isn't an issue. I was expecting it to be bad, but I wandered into the locker room and saw a dozen naked guys of all shapes/sizes/ages and figured I should just jump in head first, figuratively speaking. Even as the only westerner there, nobody cared and nobody (that I noticed) stared. And I can assure you, I'm one of nature's less perfect specimens of humanity.

I was far more worried about breaking some sort of etiquette rather than being naked around strangers. Going to an onsen is a great experience, especially when it's cold outside, and I think it would be a shame to miss out just because you're worried about nudity. When in Japan, do as the Japanese do!

by Steevu9 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Private onsen? 2014/11/5 00:39
In regular onsen, it is required to remove all clothes EXCEPT some onsen (usually outdoor, often mixed) will allow women especially to wear a large towel to cover themselves. If you want to have the onsen experience but are shy and wont compromise, I suggest finding one of these, such as Takaragawa in Minakami, Gunma (http://www.gunmajet.net/travel/takaragawa-mixed-onsen-by-laura-roberts...). I'm sure there are others nearer to Tokyo, but this particular one I have been to and can recommend.

Otherwise, for private onsen, you can rent out at a number of places, and the fancier ones sometimes give you access to a private one if you rent a room. In these cases it is still technically required to remove all clothing, but I guess since it is private no one would know the difference.

Many people have asked this, so please do a search on the forum for results and check those threads: http://www.japan-guide.com/search/?cx=015609760794546757367%3A7rvvvope...
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Private onsen? 2014/11/5 03:04
Thank you all. Guess, I'll try as both of you said!!
by Areej (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread