Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 08:59
Hi all,

Osaka will be one of my destinations on my trip in Japan. I plan to be there for two days, checking out after that onto my next destination. I'm going to check out Dotonburi, Namba, and Den Den Town (among other future suggestions).

Shin-Osaka or Osaka stations don't seem terribly far from the areas I mentioned above. However, where would be the most convenient to stay if I was doing, say, some shopping runs? For instance, I'd go to Den Den Town and want to bring back anything I buy (for example, a retro console) to the hotel before trekking out again for dinner or something.

Would staying around Shin-Osaka be fine since it would be most convenient in terms of checking out and hauling luggage to the Shinkansen? Or should I stay closer to Namba for going back to my hotel in the afternoons?

Thanks in advance!
by WongJP  

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 15:07
I would prefer to stay at Shin-Osaka as Osaka, Kyoto and Nara are all accessible by JR.
by Jas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 15:41
Thanks, Jas :)
by WongJP rate this post as useful

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 16:40
I would stay at Tennoji or Namba.

Namba has plenty of business hotels (Basic one person room)

Tennoji has the charming atmostphere of old Osaka and is a station along the line to Shin-Osaka, Kyoto, and KIX; it is convenient for entering and leaving Japan.

Shin-Osaka and Osaka is good for intercity travel, if you are only using Osaka as a waypoint. Although, there are plenty of shopping opportunities in this area, you seem to be interested in the retro products.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 16:48
@joshua: Yes :) I am traveling throughout Japan, not my first time in the country at all. But, I haven't been able to schedule in Osaka in previous trips.

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 16:55
OP doesn't mention going to nara or Kyoto? Do people even consider the needs of the poster?

It takes 20mins on the Midosuji line to Namba from Shin Osaka. You'll have to decide whether you want to ride back and forth. Personally if I were spending most of my time in that area I'd choose to stay in Namba, much more fun too.

by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 17:08
@reprazent: Thanks for the tip :) Not that it matters to this discussion but, yes, I explored other places (Kyoto, Nara) thoroughly in a previous trip. They aren't on my itin this round, as you agree :)

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/18 17:22
DOh, I had my window open for a long time, while you guys already replied.

I agree Tennoji is a good alternative, close to your JR station and much closer to Namba area. You could check out Shinsekai too, it's only a 10mins walk from there to Denden Town.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Stay Shin-Osaka or Namba? JR Pass Holder 2014/11/19 10:43
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll be staying closer to Namba and Den Den Town. Case closed :)

reply to this thread