Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Train Reservation 2014/11/18 17:46
Hi there,

My partner and myself are heading to Japan in late December - mid January.

We'll be purchasing JR passes and relying heavily on the train network to get around.

From what I've read online, I understand the majority of JR reservations are easier to do at a station once in Japan as the sites are generally in Japanese. Just wanting to clarify that this is in fact the case?

We'll be looking to travel by train between the following destinations:

Tokyo - Tsumago (26th December)
Magome - Tokyo (28th December)
Tokyo - Osaka (1st January)
Osaka - Koya-San (3rd January)
Koya-San - Shikoku (4th January)

We're concerned about some of the above trips as we suspect a lot of people will be travelling home for NYE.

Mainly wanting to know if people think we'll need to reserve tickets prior to leaving for Japan?

Thanks for your time + help!

Regards,
Ed

by Ed (guest)  

Re: JR Train Reservation 2014/11/18 19:01
Hi Ed

Firstly, be aware that if you're using the JRP, you CANNOT reserve any trains until you get to Japan and convert your exchange voucher for the pass itself.

For the trip to Tsumago & Magome, note that you can only take the train as far as Nagiso station and will need to take a bus or taxi from there to Tsumago and from Magome on the way back.

For the trip to and from Koyasan, note that the JRP will not be valid between Namba (Osaka) and Koyasan. Your best bet is to get the Nankai World Heritage Pass to cover those journeys.

Overall, I think you should be ok to get seats for all these journeys but recommend making the reservations at the same time you convert the JRP on arrival at Narita.

Have a great trip!
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Train Reservation 2014/11/18 20:16
Thanks so much for your help!

by Ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Train Reservation 2014/11/19 16:17
Firstly, be aware that if you're using the JRP, you CANNOT reserve any trains until you get to Japan and convert your exchange voucher for the pass itself.

That's not entirely true. You can reserve in advance for JR East trains via Ekinet, but unfortunately this doesn't help the OP:

http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/JRT...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread