Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/20 23:47
Hi,
Trying a possible itienary from Fukuoka by the north coast of Japan to Izumi / Matsue, Tottori, perhaps Toyama and the famous Alpine Route, on to Nagoya or Matsuyama and finally Tokyo.

Possibly doing a trip through Magome valley area to Nagoya and eventually Tokyo.

Not sure how many days would be needed considering travel times.

Sleep in Fukuoka, Matsue, possibly Tottori, Toyama, Matsuyama or Nagano, possibly Nagoya and finally Tokyo.

Does it sound like too much? Just a rough planning.
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/21 11:13
Open google map again and find each area access info pages.
(tourist info portal or major hotel's)

Why Alpine Route on to "Matsuyama"???
seems typo "Matsumoto" near Tokyo.
And not Izumi "Izumo".

How about "Japan rail pass" 14 or 21 days based?
By 7 days type impossible.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
by TEB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/21 15:18
If money and time are of no concern, you can pretty much do whatever you want.
What are your interests and objectives of this itinerary?
One of the biggest problems is that on the Japan Sea side there are no bullet trains, and trains are less frequent or slower - so it takes a lot longer.
Just from Hakata to Izumoshi on a JR Pass would take at least 4¼ hours. And that is missing everything in Hakata and up to Izumo.
Hakata has a lot of interesting sights, parks, and shopping. The Nanzoin temple alone is just 20 minutes by train from Hakata Stn and is an amazing place (and free):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4VQFmHFyM
There is also Ohori Park, Canal City, Nakasu, and many other places:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-j4RLa6iC7ayvBAbOn8-0...
Going into Yamaguchi, The Akiyoshido Cave is amazing, and Hagi has a wonderful old fashioned feel that offers a nice couple of days.
Naturally you'd want to spent at least a couple days in each place. But Tottori to Toyama is over 6 hours by train, and that's going through Osaka. I hope you have the stamina.
You might want to just concentrate on a smaller region.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/21 19:47
Hi,
I have already seen Kyushu and Yamaguchi, I wanted to see Izumo taisha and Matsue and Tottori possibly.

I thought it would be a better route going that way. Maybe it is better off flying there instead? I would be arriving in Osaka or Tokyo.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/21 21:00
I'm doing it out of Okayama. I'll visit Takahashi on the way to Matsue to see the Matsuyama castle and then head to Matsue and Izumo Taisha and back to Matsue. From there you can go to Tottori.

I'd take a shinkansen to Okayama and cover that portion of the distance as quick as you possibly can.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/21 21:54
Sounds like a better option, thank you. I have done a sleepover in Okayama a few days (as I thought it best when visiting Shikoku) but I felt Matsue being too far away.

However. If going from Matsue through Tottori to Toyama, wouldn't it be fastest going by the Japan Sea than going to Okayama - Shin-Osaka/Kyoto and then Toyama?

Re: Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/21 22:06
What I was referring to was the Fukuoka to Matsue portion of the trip. If you take trains only on the SOJ coast, they'll much slower and infrequent as the ones on the Sanyo line (shinkansen included).
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka-Matsue-Tokyo itinerary 2014/11/21 23:17
Oh, alright. Well just thinking of the portion Matsue to Toyama, which would be faster.

I will probably skip the Fukuoka-Matsue and go through Okayama somehow instead.

I have an option of going directly to Fukuoka airport instead of by domestic flight, but again I am not sure where to enter Japan. It wont be until autumn next year, so I wish to try catch on the Tateyama route as I failed to do last time.

Maybe fly domestic directly from Osaka/Tokyo to Izumo airport. And then moving on.

Then of course night trains...

As I said, already been to Fukuoka and Kyushu four times so it is not that I miss something out, but again, thanks for the recommendation.

I will probably do it on a Rail Pass.

reply to this thread