Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Alpine route with new Shinkansen 2014/11/20 23:50
As the new Shinkansen to Toyama will open in 2015 I was thinking of possible routes across Tateyama Route from either Osaka to Tokyo, Tokyo to Osaka or Tokyo roundtrip.

For instance going from Tokyo to Toyama and the Alpine route thereafter. And from Shinano-Omachi back to Tokyo. Not sure how early in the morning the shinkansen will leave Tokyo and arrive Toyama but perhaps no need for sleepover in Toyama when hitting the early train up to Tateyama?

Osaka roundtrip may not be as worth perhaps as there is no shinkansen yet from that direction.

By the way, will there be any kind of start up celebration worth seeing as a foreigner? I have never seen a shinkansen line taken into run before, so..
by Dessire (guest)  

Re: Alpine route with new Shinkansen 2014/11/21 11:23
Not sure how early in the morning the shinkansen will leave Tokyo and arrive Toyama

It is likely going to depart around 6am and arrive in Toyama shortly after 8am. Even now, the Alpine Route can be done in a single day by taking the Nagano Shinkansen to Nagano and then the bus to Ogizawa. The return journey would be from Toyama via Echigo-Yuzawa.

After the shinkansen extension, I think that the fastest approach on the Nagano side remains shinkansen to Nagano followed by bus to Ogizawa.

Osaka roundtrip may not be as worth perhaps as there is no shinkansen yet from that direction.

A day trip is possible even now, and the shinkansen extension is more likely to speed up the trip than slow it down:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7552.html

By the way, will there be any kind of start up celebration worth seeing as a foreigner?

I like trains a lot, but I have never thought of attending an opening ceremony of a train line. Sounds very boring to me: speeches, ceremonies and lots of people... Furthermore, it is probably difficult to get access to these ceremonies as a regular person.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Alpine route with new Shinkansen 2014/11/21 11:46
Official timetable update yet.
But already anounced operate time to Toyama/Kanazawa.
Fastest train "Kagayaki" reached Toyama
about 130min (63min faster from recent).

BTW, recent train plan impossible??? Just different 60-120min.
http://www.alpen-route.com/en/transportation/timetable-fares
by Hacco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Alpine route with new Shinkansen 2014/11/22 05:41
Uji,
Thank you so much for yet another informative answer. I never knew about that trip information, is very much appreciated.

Doing a roundtrip from Tokyo seems doable but would feel like a rush, and as far as I know the train from Toyama to Tateyama leaves around 6 am, trying to skip the masses of people that would be encountered later the day, I doubt any train reaches Toyama before 6.

When I planned to go from Osaka I wanted a stay in Toyama, then another in Matsumoto on the other side, then Tokyo. But typhoon made me skip and go direct to Tokyo instead.
by Dessire (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread