Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

driving in japan? 2014/11/22 15:27
Hello guys,
I'm going to japan this December for 20 days with my wife. It will be my 3rd time to Japan, but it will be my 1st driving a car in there.

I'm going to rent a car from "toyota rent a car" as it seems they have a good english website so I can assume it will be alot easier than others. They also provide ETC devices in their cars.

Now, I wounder how hard it is to get an ETC card? And from where can I get it as in toyota rent a car did not mention anything about how to get ETC card?

Also one more thing I need to know is how to park my car (japan parking system?) I plan to pick up my car in tokyo, and drive from their to hakone and mount fuji areas for 2 days then go for tsukuba for one more day and back to tokyo at night (I guess here where I need most the knowledge to park my car at night as I will bring it back to rental office the other day morning)

Also any other tips to not violate any laws while driving or parking in japan?

Thanks all ^_^
by EJ257_ (guest)  

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/22 21:43
An ETC card is not required to drive on toll roads - just pay in cash (it is going to be a more expensive this way).

I rented a car twice in Japan, just by walking in (off-season). Once it was Toyota, once it was JR Kyushu. Both times, the staff was very friendly, quite a bit confused what to do about that foreigner. Since I knew what they needed, we all had a pleasant time and mutual success. Truth to be told, once you use Google Translate to reserve online (in case you wish), any office will have staff struggling with English. Pick whatever car or price suits you best.

If you are used to drive on the left hand side of the road, you will only be surprised by the extremely respectful driving style in Japan - quite relaxing.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any suggestions on parking - only the recommendation that using public transport really works well unless you go into, and stay in, the hinterland (where you will have zero problems finding parking space). I perceived travelling by car in Japan to be rather slow - and if there are decent train connections, then these will most likely be more convenient and faster.
by duckamuck rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/23 09:28
With "ETC card rental[ƒJ[ƒh‘Ý‚µo‚µ]" service is not all of Toyota.
This service is just one of branch's "special" menu.
So ask each branch before booking by call.
http://www.toyota-rl.tokyo/frameset/navi_etc.html
Toll road fee payment(adjustment) at car return blanch by cash mainly.
And about this and more Qs,too.
http://www.toyota-rl.tokyo/frameset/navi_english_navigation.html

But basically your plan not recommend from Tokyo to most(out Tokyo)
access convenient to entrance staiton by train/bus operate numbers enough.
If want picked from after station or out of urban area recommend.

- about car park -
In Japan many kinds of parking system not only one way.
And for mid Tokyo very bad bc parking and illegal penalty fee very expensive
and find empty parking space quickly impossible usual waste time/money both.
Touris spots of out Tokyo parkings no worry a lot of free and cheap.
by WDA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/25 09:50
I can't help with parking unfortunately! I drive on the left usually and found Japanese motorists wonderfully polite and carefull. I have rented three Nissans (good English reservation system) with an English speaking GPS. I took photos of the steps thru to the input of navigating by phone number in case I mucked up the japanese menu. The rental staff had little engine but worked out what I was getting at and were quite amused and helpful. Two hints if they are useful. Some vehicles only retain the destination in the GPS if the engine remains running and your last fuel top up requires you to keep and show the receipt to the rental company.
by Broulee rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/25 16:51
I often notice the scary fact that visitors driving here in Japan don't know how to read local road signs. I found a good guide on the internet. Please take your time to study it. You can probably find similar ones by Googling keywords like "driving rules in Japan"
http://www.yokota.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100329-005.pdf
https://www.npa.go.jp/annai/license_renewal/english.pdf

In particular, I notice that many foreign drivers don't know how to read the speed limit. There are always road signs here and there, so be sure you obey them or at least follow the crowd.

Parking lot systems differ depending on the lot. As it is with anyone driving in a foreign country, it's best to ask if you're not sure. That's what even locals end up doing as there is so much variety!

It is illegal to park in almost every curb in a city. If you must leave your car for one reason or another, be sure you keep an eye on it so that you can run back as soon as you see the police coming. You will be fined right there if no one is there to move the car.

A lot of stores and restaurants give you parking discount tickets, so be sure to present your parking card (which you usually get at the lot) and ask if there is any "waribiki (discount)."

However, in the countryside where there is a lot of space, you can park almost anywhere and most of the parking lots are free.

Do note that driving in central Tokyo can be quite tricky. Even Japanese residents who are used to driving in the suburbs can't or hate to drive in the Metropolitan. Meanwhile, the moutain roads are very curvy and steep. Take your time and drive safely.

All seatbelts are a must according to the law, and the police are quite strict about drivers' seatbelts. Also, you cannot use your mobile phone while driving even at a red light. Be sure to stop your car at a curb when texting or calling.

Strangly, eating and drinking is allowed while driving. Talking on your mobile phone using a headset is allowed too.

Drinking and driving is strictly prohibited not only by law but also by the society ever since there was an infamous accident. Bartenders can also be punished if they provide alcohol to drivers. If you drive to a bar and decide to drink, you can ask bartenders for "daikou" service in which two cars will come to pick you and the car up to be driven home for a fee similar to one taxi ride.

Hope you have fun in Japan!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/25 23:45
I have one hint to offer about parking. If you park in an automated, underground, parking garage (the kind where you pull your car into a bay, get out, and the system takes your car underground and stores it) watch your side mirrors. The entrances to the bays can be very narrow and I almost took the side mirrors off of my rental car. The attendant had to show me a button inside the car to fold the side mirrors in. So when you rent your car try your best to ask how to fold the side mirrors in...ie. are they manual or automatic?
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/26 11:38
Now, I wounder how hard it is to get an ETC card? And from where can I get it as in toyota rent a car did not mention anything about how to get ETC card?

You'll have to inquire with the branch that you rented the car from. If I remember correctly, some offer ETC card rental but most do not. If they do not then you can just use regular toll booths (lanes marked with green signs vs the purple ETC lanes). With the recently revised discount system it is now more difficult to get ETC discounts, so they're more for convenience than savings these days.

Also one more thing I need to know is how to park my car (japan parking system?)

Street parking is rare, so you'll almost always have to park in a lot, which are mostly straightforward to understand. The most confusing are probably the ones with the little barrier that comes up under your car blocking the wheel. For those you'll have to note the stall number and key that into the machine near the lot entrance to pay and lower the barrier so you can leave. Then again, with your itinerary you are unlikely to encounter any weird parking lots and will probably be parking in regular lots and hotels.

I plan to pick up my car in tokyo, and drive from their to hakone and mount fuji areas for 2 days then go for tsukuba for one more day and back to tokyo at night

If you must have a car, consider renting in Hakone and dropping it off in Tsukuba. But I'd really reconsider a car, as its not super necessary for your itinerary. The transport back and forth to Tokyo is probably easier/cheaper by train anyway.

(I guess here where I need most the knowledge to park my car at night as I will bring it back to rental office the other day morning)

Park at your hotel, or the lot they recommend. It will probably be cheaper than parking on your own.

Also any other tips to not violate any laws while driving or parking in japan?

First step is to understand the laws. Check out the link Uco posted, and also read this page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/26 22:48
Speed limits:

Many Japanese drivers take almost no notice of these.

For example, on expressways, the speed limit is usually 80kph. Japanese drivers regularly go 100kph, or 110, or 120.

In winter sometimes along the Nagano Expressway, when it's been snowing, they drop the speed limit from 80kph to 50. I STILL see drivers traveling 100 or 110.

Drive driving is allowed. However, there are two rules:
- Driving above the limit (above 0.03%)
- Driving under the influence. This is arbitrary, depending on whether the police officer determines that your driving has been affecting your driving.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

They do take notice! 2014/11/26 23:46
Many Japanese drivers take almost no notice of these.

Yes, they do. Sure enough drivers go 100 when the sign says 80, but that's because it says 80. They won't go 100 where it says 50.

It's more like on Expressways 80 to 100 is tolerated. If you go as fast as 120, you will be at risk of getting a speeding ticket and those who go faster than that are simply considered reckless and rude.

On non-Expressways in the cities, decent people usually go only as fast as 60 where it says 50. On narrow roads where it says 30, people would only go as fast as 40.

The police won't really say anything if you're 5 km/h over the limit, or more if the road is wider, but indeed there are unwritten rules. And if you don't know those unwritten rules, you should obey the signs or, again, at least follow the crowd.

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/27 00:25
I'd throw in two tips in the hope that they're helpful:

- don't attempt to drive in large cities, unless you really like frustration. Public transport in Japan is great for intra or inter-city journeys. As per the tip above, if I was starting in Tokyo, I'd seriously consider taking the train to the town nearest my destination (assuming this is a direct train journey, without several changes) and renting the car from there. Why anyone would want to drive out of central Tokyo is a mystery to me.

- rent a car with a satnav, and make sure you have the phone number of your destination. There's no way you want to be navigating for yourself. When you rent the car, get the staff to show you how to set the satnav by entering the phone number of your destination. Then turn the car off, walk around it, do something else for a minute or two, turn the car back on again, and make sure you remember what they showed you. Then get your passenger to repeat the same steps. If you have learnt this skill, your life will be so much easier and your driving experience will stand a high chance of being a really good one.

Driving in Japan is pretty enjoyable, in the more rural areas.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/30 00:20
"Yes, they do. Sure enough drivers go 100 when the sign says 80, but that's because it says 80. They won't go 100 where it says 50."

I'm sorry to say it, but it is absolutely true that some drivers go 100kph+ where the 80kph electronic signs on the Nagano expressway have been dropped to 50kph.

I've personally been passed when I have been doing 70kph in those zones, and they have been doing 100kph+. And not just on one occasion, but probably 7-8 times.....

And very often, in 80kph zones, other drivers are doing 120kph+. It may be hard for some people to believe, but it is true!!!
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/30 00:56
Sandy, yes, I agree with you, but I just thought that it's totally misleading to say that many drivers almost take no notice.

drivers do "take notice" and think that if it's 50 they can go 100. But those who do go 100 at 50 are indeed frowned upon and are the first ones that the police cars go after while those going only +10 can get away with it.

Okay, maybe I shoudn't have written "they won't." But all I'm saying is that foreign visitors have the right to know that there are unwritten rules.

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/30 09:03
It is difficult to understand for many visitors that unwritten rules are involved when it comes to speed limits.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/30 10:06
But if anything, it will deter them from speeding rather than the opposite.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: driving in japan? 2014/11/30 15:14
It is difficult to understand for many visitors that unwritten rules are involved when it comes to speed limits.

That's right, and that's why I'm saying you should obey the signs, at least if you're not used to the roads.

Just because everyone else is doing it, that doesn't mean that those people never get fined. That's all I'm saying.

reply to this thread