Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/23 14:53
Heard the Japanese Government is either thinking about or has actually lowered expressway tolls over weekends, is this true ?
Planning a self drive holiday to Japan, where can we find online a good map of all the expressways, with exits etc in ENGLISH. Don't like using Google maps. Also need a detailed map of the expressways for the Tokyo and Osaka metropolitan areas, thanks.
by Frank (guest)  

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/23 15:24
Heard the Japanese Government is either thinking about or has actually lowered expressway tolls over weekends, is this true ?

There have always been discounts for both weekdays and weekends for ETC card holders. Drivers without ETC cannot profit from them. I have not heard of new plans for further discounts. But there are more an more special expressway passes for foreign tourists available.

Planning a self drive holiday to Japan, where can we find online a good map of all the expressways, with exits etc in ENGLISH.

I don't anything better than Google Map exists in English.

Also need a detailed map of the expressways for the Tokyo and Osaka metropolitan areas, thanks.

Tokyo:
http://www.shutoko.co.jp/english/drive/map/

For Osaka, this is the best I can find:
http://www.hanshin-exp.co.jp/english/img/aboutsus/outline/network/deta...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/24 16:56
Thanks Uji. Want to drive to Izu right after we land at Haneda, Can we as tourist get any cheap expressway passes ?
by Frank (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/24 18:03
No, I am afraid there is no tourist pass for that area that would pay off.

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/24 18:44
Thank you Uji.

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/25 01:53
sorry to hijack the thread, just need to ask a question regarding toll charge.

when doing a journey, are the toll charge calculated on a single journey when passing through the toll, or charged as a return journey.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/25 03:17
In my experience, the tolls you pay at the toll gates is for the single journey ie: you collect a ticket upon entry to the expressway and then when you exit you give them the ticket and they will tell you the amount you have to pay.

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/25 03:20
Thanks for the reply, if my calculation is correct, my planned 2 day trip by car will set me approximate 19000 yen.

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/25 08:26
sorry to hijack the thread

There is no need to hijack threads. Just create your own here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quenew.html

when doing a journey, are the toll charge calculated on a single journey when passing through the toll, or charged as a return journey.

It is charged from toll gate to toll gate one-way. There can be multiple gates along a journey, e.g. if you pass across the boundary between expressway companies. Then, you pay multiple times along the way.

Re: Expressway tolls etc 2014/11/25 23:54
Thank uji

reply to this thread