Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 05:15
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what to do regarding my phone situation.

I am moving to Japan next month for either 1 or 2 years (not certain on length) and would like cellular talk and data while I'm in Japan (no wifi module). I don't use that much data, but I would prefer if it wasn't slower speeds.

I'm interested in upgrading to an iPhone 6 and with Black Friday coming up, I can buy one this week unlocked for ~$600.

What would be my best bet? To buy one now or wait until I move? I read through some of the other posts and haven't found a clear answer to contracts, data plans, etc.
by aether  

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 11:41
Subsidized plans will get you pretty big discounts on your handset so you'll be better off purchasing in Japan as along as you stay more than a year or so.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 12:07
Thanks, I read in one post that 1-2 years might not be long enough for a contract, but that didn't come up in other threads, is that true?

Is it pretty flexible regardless of how I proceed? If I buy a phone here, I can just get a plan + sim card for voice and data in Japan?
by aether rate this post as useful

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 12:22
Thanks, I read in one post that 1-2 years might not be long enough for a contract, but that didn't come up in other threads, is that true?

2 year contracts are standard, though it usually ends up being a 26 month contract for new subscribers. Residents might be able to get a contract even if their visa doesn't cover the whole duration but it depends where you buy your phone.

If I buy a phone here, I can just get a plan + sim card for voice and data in Japan?

Here as in your home country? Or as in Japan?

Either way it will have to be unlocked. Then you'll have limited options in Japan, basically b-mobile if you want voice service and data. But they're one of the better options. Note that the monthly costs are about the same as the major carriers, and it ends up cheaper to get a subsidized phone if you will stay through the contract period.

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 19:29
Note that you will need a Credit Card as a minimum for a contract.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 19:59
If you want a "naked", unlocked phone, it might be cheper to buy it in Japan, especially with the weak yen. For iPhones at least the difference is quite significant.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 20:17
Note that you will need a Credit Card as a minimum for a contract.[/
A Japanese credit card? Can it be someone else's card?

I am tempted to buy an unlocked iPhone in the states so I don't have the camera sound always on. If I decide to enter into a contract in Japan, can I just sell the subsidized phone?

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/25 23:40
It can be an overseas Credit Card (that's what I did when I was there). Just note that you'll be stung with currency conversion fees. Also note that cell phone plans are quite expensive by international standards.... My guess that pre-paid is also quite expensive as well
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/26 10:45
If you want a "naked", unlocked phone, it might be cheper to buy it in Japan, especially with the weak yen. For iPhones at least the difference is quite significant.

Unlocked iphones are priced significantly higher in Japan than in the states. Even with the weak yen, you'll probably save money by buying in the US. For example, an unlocked 16gb iphone6 costs about $680 new direct from apple.

I am tempted to buy an unlocked iPhone in the states so I don't have the camera sound always on. If I decide to enter into a contract in Japan, can I just sell the subsidized phone?

Yes, but likely at a significant loss. My local used shop is selling 16gb iphone6s for 60,000 yen, and they don't usually pay a large percentage of the selling price to acquire used items.

Also note that cell phone plans are quite expensive by international standards.

Depends on what you consider international standards. The OP is from the US, so they will likely be paying less on a Japanese plan than in the US, for better service and more options. For example, if you compare my plan to my relative's similar US plan, I pay about $20-30 dollars less a month and get free tethering.

My guess that pre-paid is also quite expensive as well

Prepaid costs in Japan range quite a bit. Data is relatively cheap (as low as around 800-900 yen/month for a relatively lite plan), calling can also be relatively cheap, but not as cheap as in some places. Unfortunately there aren't any sims that combine cheap calling and cheap data. Best to go all data route and use internet phones if you want to spend as little as possible.

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/26 16:28
Thanks for all the help!

Unfortunately there aren't any sims that combine cheap calling and cheap data.
What is the alternative, non-sim phones? Or by sims are we referring to non-contract plans?

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/26 16:29
Also, I know and have relatives in Japan, can I leech onto their account? Maybe as a second line or a family plan? Would this help simplify the process?

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/26 17:31
What is the alternative, non-sim phones? Or by sims are we referring to non-contract plans?

If you need both in one sim then you are pretty much locked into b-mobile's offerings. They aren't prohibitively expensive, but neither are they as dirt cheap as a data only or a voice only prepaid sim.

Also, I know and have relatives in Japan, can I leech onto their account? Maybe as a second line or a family plan? Would this help simplify the process?

If they are on docomo then they could theoretically add you to their data plan. It's still around 3000 yen for the line only not counting any extra data they'd have to purchase to cover you, plus the voice plan which is a few thousand yen I believe. Come to think about it, I'm not sure that's any savings.

Re: New phone before or after I move? 2014/11/26 20:07
Thanks again, just one last thing I was trying to get clarification on. With AU and docomo, do they not use sim cards? Or is it just that they require a phone purchase / contract to sign up?

reply to this thread