Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Marriage-Affidavit and Immigration Questions? 2014/11/25 12:18
I realize that the marriage in Japan topic has probably been discussed over and over again, but I had a few specific questions I couldn't find answers to.

My Japanese boyfriend and I are planning on getting married within about a year and we're discussing how to best go about it. We plan to live together in Japan. I know that it's possible to arrive in Japan, marry, and apply for a change of residence status. However, we plan on marrying in Japan and then I will return to the U.S. and apply for the COE and then spouse visa.

My question is, for the Affidavit of Competency to Marry, is this a form that needs to be requested and sent to the U.S. Embassay or consulate in Japan, or is it as simple as filling out the blank affidavit form provided on the U.S. Embassy in Japan's website and having it notarized while in Japan? Is there really no way to obtain and notarize the form while I'm in the U.S.?

Also, my other question pertains to immigration and entering Japan with the intention of getting married. I know that Japan does not offer fiance visas like the U.S. does. Will immigration officials allow me to enter Japan with the intention of getting married/ do I need to state this to immigration? Or is it better for my boyfriend to come here to marry me?

Thank you in advance for you help!

by Natalie (guest)  

Re: Marriage-Affidavit and Immigration Questions? 2014/11/25 12:26
My question is, for the Affidavit of Competency to Marry, is this a form that needs to be requested and sent to the U.S. Embassay or consulate in Japan, or is it as simple as filling out the blank affidavit form provided on the U.S. Embassy in Japan's website and having it notarized while in Japan?

Yes.

Is there really no way to obtain and notarize the form while I'm in the U.S.?

I asked the embassy about this before and they didn't know the answer. So I'd do it there just in case, as the city hall may not recognize a non-embassy notarization.

Also, my other question pertains to immigration and entering Japan with the intention of getting married. I know that Japan does not offer fiance visas like the U.S. does. Will immigration officials allow me to enter Japan with the intention of getting married/ do I need to state this to immigration?

You just enter as a regular tourist and will get an automatic 90 days. No need to declare your intentions to marry.

Or is it better for my boyfriend to come here to marry me?

The only difference is that if you marry in the US you'll have to report to the Japanese authorities, on top of needing to qualify for marriage in whatever state you marry in.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Marriage-Affidavit and Immigration Questions? 2014/11/25 12:28
Btw, be aware that there is also the alternate route to a spouse visa. After you marry (Japan or US), once you're ready to move to Japan you can come on a tourist visa and change your residence in country.

Re: Marriage-Affidavit and Immigration Questions? 2014/11/25 12:34
Thank you for your response!

Just to clarify, it IS just filling out the form and having it notarized, correct?
by Natalie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Marriage-Affidavit and Immigration Questions? 2014/11/25 12:45
Well you also have to repeat the sworn statement, but that's part of the notary process. Here's a copy of the form. You should fill it out ahead of time.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/japan/39181/pdfs/wwwf7114_001.pdf

Note that you have to make an appointment for notary services.

Re: Marriage-Affidavit and Immigration Questions? 2014/11/25 13:51
Thank you!

I had no idea what to expect during the notary process so that's helpful!
by Natalie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread