Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Yokohama 2014/11/28 03:14
I have a job offer in Yokohama at a net salary of around 250,000 JPY. The employer will pay for my rent, transport, and house bills-water, electricity bills.
Am not sure whether that is a good deal. When i check the internet food seems pretty expensive. Please help
by Shelmith (guest)  

Re: Living in Yokohama 2014/11/28 12:10
It depends on what you consider expensive, based on your home country prices(compared to say, Vietnam it's expensive), and WHERE you shop in Yokohama. (e.g. Union supermarket or OK supermarket)

And by food, do you mean restaurants or groceries?

I live in Yokohama, and the prices for groceries are reasonable in OK supermarket.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Yokohama 2014/11/28 12:58
I can't comment on if your getting paid the right amount for your job - but I can say that you can live easily on that but will probably not be able to save a huge amount of money.

As you don't have a lot of overheads (apart from probably a cell phone 10,000 yen a month), it should be very doable.

Also check to see if your costs to your place of employment is covered??? This is quite common and if it's a fair distance the costs will pile up and could be your largest monthly cost apart from food.

On the food scene - if you go to a normal supermarket you should be able to eat quite comfortably. My guess is that 50,000 yen a month is quite a comfortable amount and I doubt that I ever spent this much in a month and I had not cheap tastes (I also lived in Yokohama).

Also note that there are many reasonably cheap restaurants such as Kinomiya where you can get meals for 400-800 yen cooked fresh. I'm not sure how healthy they are though.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Yokohama 2014/11/28 18:40
The average first year salary for a university graduate in Japan is 1,996,000 yen (including bonus if any), so that's not a bad deal unless you are skilled and are coming with a family.
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/itiran/roudou/chingin/kouzou/12/01.html

I wonder if it's common for foreign employees to have water/electricity bills covered like the OP. To me that sounds kind of like a dorm. You might want to check the quality of the place you are going to live in. I'd also check on how your insurance will be covered especially if it's going to be some kind of a physical job.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Yokohama 2014/11/28 23:10
It's common for foreign workers on an expat contract(intra-company transferee) to have housing rental, transport & all utilities paid for.
However, usually with that sort of contract, the net salary is higher than that, so perhaps the rental accommodation is quite small.

Re: Living in Yokohama 2014/11/29 01:02
Thanks everyone.Actually i have been working for the last six years but am moving to a totally different industry and role. The prospective employer says that i can make as much as 100,000 or more in overtime. aAnd by the way i have an 11months old baby but the employer says she is too young to move there because health insurance and fees for her nany will be too high and they are not willing to cover that. Please advise
by Shello (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Yokohama 2014/11/29 09:05
250,000 net means? is it after all the tax/pension/insurance deduction?
If it include above plus your accomodation/transport/bills taken care of then it is not bad. If not your final salary after deduction maybe more or less 210,000

But then again that depends on your qualification/experience/work.
You can easily save 100,000 if you are single and dont spend too much.

Again, expensensive can be relative depend on where you are from. I am frm a country whr living cost that is 1/3 of Japan and ofcourse I find Japan expensive when I compare to my country. However once I got used to it and consider that I am earning YEN and paying by YEN, actually I notice that it is on par or ever cheaper living in Japan(of course if I convert it then I will always be stress out by the exchange differences ).

A word of advice, DO NOT make that rate conversion (ok if you are tourist or not paid in YEN) or else you will forever be stress/suffering.
Just my 2yen worth opinion.

by ex-yokohama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Yokohama 2014/11/29 11:02
"Net" means after all deductions.
"Gross" means before deductions, so 250,000yen/month SHOULD mean after tax, pension, unempl insurance, etc, is already taken out.

reply to this thread