Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice for first time to Japan 2014/11/28 08:45
I'll be going to Japan for 3 months on a tourist visa. I'm pretty young, 19 years old. I don't know much Japanese, I know basic words and phrases that will hopefully help me around. I will be doing WWOOF (WWOOF is an acronym for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). It will be my first time in Japan and alone. I know my travel routes and such.
Any advice for a first time traveller?
by caylankun  

Re: Advice for first time to Japan 2014/11/28 11:00
Well, if you know your plans then here are some pointers-

1. Have pen and paper ready; Japanese are better are reading then listening to English
2. Have a calculator or a smart phone with a similar app- for understanding prices
3. Have a translate app installed on a smart phone
4. Print all necessary maps
5. Use hyperdia to get timings of trains, which train to take, which platform they are on, how many stations away
6. Print opening/closing times of attractions- Life happens, sometimes you might be delayed at one attraction and the next one might be closing; know your timings
7. It is advisable to bring a gift local to your home country for your host
8. Understand that there are cultural differences. Be tolerant.
9. When first settling down, find out the location of the nearest public transportation, hospital, shopping centre
10. Observe etiquette
11. Non-major cities and non-tourist towns may have English issues so practice hand gestures
12. Get a local wifi access for your smartphone so Google maps can save your life
13. Be sure to check up on weather and other information before heading to another part of Japan
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for first time to Japan 2014/11/28 12:26
Because Japan is such a fabulous country, absolutely unique culture, fascinating language and amazing natural beauty.So i think it's good to know the dos and donfts firsthand.
1.Bow to greet a person; bend your body 15 degrees for ward for a casual bow. When you meet elders, bow deeply from your waist.
2.Before eating a meal and after finishing it, be sure to thank your host for the meal and their company with a small bow. This is considered good table manners.
3.Get Suica cards to travel the subway, metro, Japan Rail and also to pay for items in convenience stores. You can load them up with Yen as you go along.
4.Water is safe to drink – whether it is tap water or bottled water. You can refill at any public fountain without worry.
5.Buy a map that indicates the names of destinations both in Japanese and in English. Carry a Japanese to English translation book to manage small phrases.
6.Carry tissues or hand towels with you – most of the public bathrooms donft have hand-drying facilities, unless you want to use the toilet roll.
7.Carry at least 10,000-20,000 yen in cash with you. Most Japanese ATM machines donft accept foreign cards. Also many establishments donft accept credit cards.
8.Always carry a notepad with you along with a pen or pencil. You may need to write down what you want, or even draw it if someone doesnft understand you
9.Write down the full address of your hotel or destination to show someone in case youfre lost. Get it written in Japanese as well.
10.When you want to point towards someone or something, point with your open hand. Pointing at anything with your forefinger is considered rude.
by analia93 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread