Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/15 03:01
Hey all, we (a couple around 30 years old) are travelling to Tokyo for new years eve celebrations and it seems it's not so easy to find a good spot to eat and celebrate on 31st of December. Is there anyone who knows a good restaurant downtown where there is a special newyear's celebration or a newyear's eve menu and countdown? Thanks so much for your help in advance. Best regards,

B&B
by Barbara (guest)  

Re: noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/15 12:43
Just out of curiosity, what is a "noba dinner"?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/15 18:59
Apparently it's a dish that's typically eaten in Japan on New year's eve. if you have good tips for different restaurants, you can also let me know?
by barbara truyers (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/15 19:27
I am Japanese, but I have never heard of "noba" dinner. Do you possible mean "soba," buckwheat noodle? This is just one dish we eat (usually at home) on New Year's eve... but this by itself is nothing fancy and does not make a full "dinner course" that you would enjoy dining at a restaurant...

As New Year's Days in Japan are more like Christmas in the West, meaning, families get together at home and relax, you might have to make up your mind if you want a western style countdown party (of course with western food) or for a quiet evening possibly at a Japanese restaurant (but some do close on the Eve and the first few days of the New Year). Please read the page on this website on New Year's days.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/15 19:37
Oh of course, you're right. It's soba dinner! Thanks :)
I would not like to spend it with expats actually. I would be more interested to spend it in a nice Japanese restaurant... It doesn't have to be fancy. A good atmosphere is much more important. It's difficult to choose where to go, since I read reviews of thousands of restaurants. :) Would you know anything good in the area of Shinjuku?
Thanks so much for your help.
Best regards,
Barbara
by barbara truyers (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/16 01:18
Do you perhaps mean Osechi?
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/16 02:00
Ah soba, okay. NY Eve soba dinner isn't really a thing though.

It might be helpful to think of Christmas and New Year's Eve as being switched around - Xmas Eve is date night, and New Year's Eve is a family occasion, as others have mentioned. People sit around and watch TV and eat a lot.

If you want to spend a nice, traditional New Year's Eve, you can go to an upscale izakaya or Japanese restaurant for dinner, then sometime past midnight join three million other people on line at Meiji Jingu in Harajuku (http://www.whereintokyo.com/venues/25085.html ).

In between you can visit any number of dance clubs or international bars or hotel bars for a countdown, if you like. But it won't happen at most restaurants.

Good luck, and have a happy holiday!

Re: noba dinner in tokyo, new years eve? 2014/12/16 02:05
Ah, and rereading, I see that you specifically asked for restaurant recommendations in Shinjuku. If I had to pick one place to bring friends from out of town, I'd pick Daidaiya: http://bento.com/rev/0322.html

It's a nice balance of good food and fun atmosphere. I'm sure it will be festive!

reply to this thread