Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sofa status after tourist visa overstay 2014/12/21 08:54
Hi.. I been in japan with my fiance, he work on base in iwakuni.. and i missed look my lenght of stay.. So the immigration give me 1 year before i'll visit japan again.. My question is me and my fiance planning to get married in americana and get my SOFA status maybe after 4-5 months.. Do you think i can enter japan even though immigration said i need to wait one year because of my over stay before as tourist visa. Thank you
by Cathy (guest)  

Re: Sofa status after tourist visa overstay 2014/12/22 06:23
You'll need to apply for an exemption with the Japanese consulate, but this is done only rarely and it may need to be something you just take on the chin.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sofa status after tourist visa overstay 2014/12/22 23:02
So... You mean this is not 100% sure?
by Cathy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sofa status after tourist visa overstay 2014/12/23 04:51
Japanese Immigration frowns upon those who break the rules and lets them know that by making it difficult for you to re-enter Japan. If you overstayed your tourist visa, then you'll most likely have to wait that period, especially if you come from a country that doesn't have a visa exemption for temporary visitors. Your fiancé is at Iwakuni, so most likely he's a Marine or perhaps a Navy serviceman. If you come from the Philippines, for example, they will be extra strict because of the many people who try to get a visa and overstay their welcome.
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sofa status after tourist visa overstay 2014/12/23 06:44
Most likely they will let you in since Sofa is completely separate from the Japanese immigration system. Sofa members are exempt from Japanese immigration laws. They probably have to put in a special request to deny you entry and it won't be worth it for a simple overstay. That's my guess.

Your bigger headache will be passing the military's background check.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sofa status after tourist visa overstay 2014/12/23 08:32
As the previous poster mentioned, SOFA status is separate from the regular immigration system. There's a lot more info on this page, but it seem that you should be able to enter Japan on SOFA once you are married and considered a military dependant.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?2+63379
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Sofa status after tourist visa overstay 2014/12/24 10:41
Thank you so much.:)
by Cathy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread