Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tax non-resident foreigner on rental income 2014/12/22 00:17
Hi Japan Forum,

I enjoyed reading about your website and have gotten a lot of insights into the taxation system of Japan.
However, I am unable to find out:

How do I submit a tax return that will be due soon on only rental income?
I am a foreigner that is living outside of Japan and would like to submit through the internet or by post. To whom and to which address do I submit the forms to? The rental income is only marginal, so engaging a tax accountant would mean negative income gains.
So I would prefer not to engage an accountant but to complete this process myself.
Look forward to your reply.

Thank you
Regards
by balexhu (guest)  

Re: Tax non-resident foreigner on rental income 2014/12/22 11:09
I believe that if you own a property in Japan and earn income from renting it out, you need to do the tax return - through a tax administrator which you are required to appoint (who is a resident in the municipality where your property is located in). Also you will be required to pay the fixed asset (property) tax.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax non-resident foreigner on rental income 2014/12/22 13:57
if you know Japanese language, technical terms, and tax laws, you may do by yourself.
do you know how to calculate 減価償却,annual depreciation of your properties?
you can download the forms from 国税庁 website.(I think forms are not uploaded yet.)
at least, the forms you need are 申告書B and 内訳明細書(不動産用).
I highly recommend to consult an accountant. it is not expensive in Japan, because your case is not so complicated.
the difficulty is to find a good accountant !
I think you should find an accountant of a good friend to you.
tax-claim period is during Feb.16 and March 15.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax non-resident foreigner on rental income 2014/12/22 14:43
In case the owner is living overseas, one needs to appoint an administrator in the area where the property is located. Without a registered address in that location in Japan, one cannot do the tax filing.
by AKc (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread