Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/6 18:44
Hello,

I will arrived at Tokyo at 09.00 AM, then take Shinkansen (hikari) to Kyoto.
conditions: i will travelling with my parents (58 years old) so i thought it will have a slow pace in travelling.

Day 1, after arrived at kyoto (check in first at hotel), my plans are: arashiyama (bamboo grooves, togetsukyo bridge, Tenryu-ji Tepmle) then to kinkakuji, after that to Shijo area and pontocho

Day 2, Ginkakuji, philosopher path, heian shrine, maruyama park, higashiyama, kiyomizudera (is it possible to go to fushimi inari shrine?)
18.00 or 19.00 i have to depart to Tokyo

Day 3 - 9 Tokyo, i already have a vision where to go (include disney, fuji, tateyama kurobe alpine and shirakawago) i have travel to Tokyo before, so i already have suitable plan in Tokyo.

So my questions are:
1.Does the Kyoto itinerary seems visible?
2.Is it possible to go to Fushimi Inari Shrine at Day 2?
3.Does the train station in Kyoto have lift or escalator? or is it more convenience if i ride taxi/bus, since my mom's can not take too much stairs but can walk a lot :)

Thank you before :)
by Hellen (guest)  

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/7 03:28
Hi Hellen,

1.Does the Kyoto itinerary seems visible?
Yes, but please note
Day 1
You will probably not be in Kyoto till 11 or noon. You should be able to take the JR train to Arashiyama. I would imagine it will take you about 3 hours (not including lunch time) Should be able to get to Kinkakuji by 3:30 to 4 pm. Everything else will be after dark, ie Shijo area and pontocho. It is do-able at a slow pace.
Day 2
will be tight with a slow pace if you want to spend any time around each place. Make sure you start early in the morning. fushimi inari shrine does not close, so you can go late afternoon \ evening, just bring a flashlight. I do not think you will make it there with everything on your list before dark.

Make sure to get the Kyoto day bus pass for day two Some places are further from each other than they look on a map and buses really cut down on travel time.

2.Is it possible to go to Fushimi Inari Shrine at Day 2?
Please see comment above.

3.Does the train station in Kyoto have lift or escalator? or is it more convenience if i ride taxi/bus, since my mom's can not take too much stairs but can walk a lot :)
Kyoto station has escalators. A day bus pass is good for day 2 and day 1 take the JR train from Kyoto station to Arashiyama there should be a few steps, but nothing that should bother you mom.
Please note fushimi inari shrine has a LOT of stairs. If your mom wants to do it take the shorter path up.

Hope this helps. Have fun

by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/7 07:29
1. Arrive Tokyo 9am: is that a flight arrival time?? if so, you wonft be in Kyoto until mid-afternoon.
2. Assuming you get to Kyoto late morning, and check in/leave luggage at hotel (where is the hotel), then I would go by train to Arashiyama, then taxi to Kinkakuji, then Taxi to Pontoncho area. Between 3 of you, taxis would be viable.
3. Day 2: start at Fushimi Inari; train to Kiyomizudera (beware; the climb up to Kiyomizudera is steep); taxi to Ginkakuji: [Philosophers path ONLY if it is cherry blossoms: not worth it otherwise, IMHO;]taxi from Ginkakuji to Heian Shrine
IF you do the Philosophers Path, then factor in Nanzenji, and Heian Shrine only

Remember: you will need to stop and eat lunch: you cannot walk around and eat fast food on the go;
avoid the Kyoto buses: they are slow and crowded
Ifm 60, and those 2 days daunt me: we have been to Kyoto on 5 trips now.....and we are fairly fit, and can travel at a reasonable pace
You say "i thought it will have a slow pace in travellingh: that pace is very fast.....

Remember, you cannot see it all: and you do not want to exhaust your parents

Good luck
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/7 10:55
Thank you for all the advices!!

Dear Anne & AusTF,

Yes, i will arrived at Narita at 09.00 AM using Garuda Airlines at 11 April.

For Day 1, ok noted, i checked with Hyperdia that i should be arrive at Kyoto station around 14.00 (if i depart at 10.00 from Narita). And i do not want to hurry my itinerary,so i will forget about the Fushimi Inari..

So This is my new plan:
Plan A :
Day 1 : Heian Shrine - Maruyama Park - Kiyomizudera ?
(Kiyomizudera have Spring illumination and open until 21.30, so i planned it for night)
we will have meal around this area as we move from one to others. My hotel is around Kyoto Station

Day 2: Arashiyama - Kinkakuji- Nishiki Market + shijo- Pontocho- Gion- depart to Tokyo earlier.

Plan B
as AusTF advice:
Day 1: Arashiyama, Kinkakuji and Pontocho area to have dinner and take a walk around Gion

For Day 2 option:
Ginkakuji - philosopher path (cherry blossom season) - Heian Shrine - Maruyama Park - Kiyomizudera- depart to Tokyo

Kindly your advice :)

Thank you!
by Hellen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/7 14:53
I dad is past 60, he can do all that easily. In fact, last week we just climbed to one of the peaks of Yakushima and there was heavy snow blowing us.

Don't underestimate your parents. Your plan is fine. Fushimi Inari is illumiated at night, so you won't have to worry about tripping in the dark.

Your plan is indeed doable. Arashiyama is really small. The main attractions are about 5 to 10 minutes walk of each other.

Take the Randen to Kinkakuji station. Then a bus to Shijo/Kawaramachi/Teramachidori for shopping/food.
Might even be able to see Ryoanji after Kinkakuji. These attractions take less than 30 minutes to cover so there isn't much to worry about.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/7 18:57
Dear Joshua,

Thank you for the inputs,
Unfortunately, my mom's leg usually hurts if she climb lots of stairs, so better i pass the Fushimi Inari Shrine :)

So, i guess i will take Plan B, as you told that it is doable.

Thank you for your advice!

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/8 06:36
I went to Japan in November/December to Kyoto and Tokyo (amongst other cities). Mind you I went during the fall colours so it was very crowded. If you are going during the cherry blossom period then I would only assume that the crowds would be just as crazy. I just have some thoughts.

My suggestion is that you should take the Nozomi rather than Hikari on the Shinkansen because between Tokyo and Kyoto you might make a maximum of three stops. This depends if you are going straight to Kyoto with no stops. This can save some time.

When you are in Kyoto, DO NOT take the Kyoto bus for the sake of your mom. It is very crowded and even for my friend and I, we almost could not tolerate the crush factor. Taxis I heard are expensive, but there is not much choice.

To be honest there was not much to see in Maruyama Park, it was no different from a city park. The adjacent Yasaka Shrine at least has some architecture and history.

I do like Plan B, and yes do keep Kiyomizudera last to see the night illumination. My friend did that and she was so impressed. Just a heads up that from the main road, to get to Kiyomizudera involves a lot of walking up a slope, so if the taxi can make most of that hard work then its worth it. Also, My friend had a hard time getting into a Kyoto Bus, so I am not sure how many taxis are available that night. Patience seems to be the key there.

So lucky you are going, you will have an amazing time!!
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/8 10:36
On maruyama park, i agree. Yasaka is interesting but isn't the most interesting shrine there is. Just the most conveniently located after Fushimi Inari.

As for climbing steps, Fushimi Inari does have a few, but unless you plan on taking on the mountain top, it is mostly a gentle incline. There are slopes too next to the stairs. Altogether to have a good feel, she would need to conquer no more than thirty steps. With many breaks in between. (6 for the entrance, another 4 at second entrance, another ... at some gate...)
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 2 days itinerary 2015/1/8 11:54
Dear Tim,

Yep, i will go around cherry blossom period (late period isn't it? 11 April, i hope not too crowded, *crossing finger)

Sure, i think i have to take Nozomi even it is more expensive, to catch up some time..

Now,i will definitely do Kiyomizudera at night! Hope the bus will not crowded that time, as we still can have city view from bus..

Thank you for your advices too Joshua!

Really appreciates all of the advices and responses :)

reply to this thread