Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage on Hakone Romance Car 2015/1/7 09:41
We are planning on taking the Romance Car in February. We have a medium Suitcase and a couple of Backpack sized carryones. Will there be space on the train in the first car? We are traveling from Yokusuka via train so it is not too big or would we be better off taking two small suitcases and the carryones?
by Teri (guest)  

Re: Luggage on Hakone Romance Car 2015/1/7 12:21
If this is your first trip to Japan you may not be aware that everything, everywhere, is "little" by Western standards. Your "medium" bag, which I assume is larger than an airline legal carryon, may not even fit easily in your hotel rooms! Plus two smaller bags will divide the load, and if you are independent travellers, you will be rolling quite a bit between trains, hotels, subways, etc.The Hakone Romance train is set up for overnight/short-stay visitors, overhead racks, minimal luggage, but there might be room to stand a bag at either end of the car or on the platform inside the door.I have seen folks on other non-shinkansen trains riding standing by the doors with their huge cases.Not a very relaxing way to travel if you want to enjoy the views! If the medium bag works for you and two smaller ones do not, consider using the excellent Japanese DELIVERY SERVICE. Tak-kyu-bin in Japanese. Takkyuhaibin has a Black Cat, there is a Pelican, etc. SHip the bag ahead of you, likely next-day delivery on such a short shipment. About $30 I would guess, but depends on dimensions, weight, and exact distance. Hotels have the forms and will phone for pickup, or you can do it at most convenience stores. And you just carry your 36-hour essentials in the backpacks.
by sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on Hakone Romance Car 2015/1/7 12:52
I live in Japan, so I am used to the size issues. If we drive we take the med bag. It is not huge but it will not fit in the overhead. This is why I was asking the question. I was not sure if behind the seats this train had the gap that can fit a checked (airline standard) bag.
by terifish rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on Hakone Romance Car 2015/1/8 13:11
You'll be fine. I just spent a month in Japan with a "giant" suitcase by the above commenter's standards, and I never had any problems getting it onto trains or into hotel rooms! Just make sure you get to the train early to line up and get in first, that way you have the best chance of storing your luggage in the space behind the last row of seats (also, line up to enter at the back of the car). Otherwise, there's so much legroom on Japanese trains that you could probably just sit it in front of you, if you're not too tall.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage on Hakone Romance Car 2015/1/8 13:18
Thanks that was what I was hoping. I know on the bullet train we were fine but I was not sure on this train.
by terifish rate this post as useful

reply to this thread