Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 16:24
Me and my family are going to use the JR Pass to head for Kyoto. My question is, how do I use it for Shinkansen? Do I just present it to the operator like normal trains or do I need to make a reservation somewhere? Also, where in Tokyo Station are the Shinkansen located? Are there signs for me to follow? Last time I went there Tokyo station is pretty large and this time I'm traveling with old people so they're going to complain a LOT if I have them walk around the whole station looking for it. Thanks!
by Lev (guest)  

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 18:12
For Tokyo-Kyoto Shinkansens, reservation is not mandatory, but it is free if you want to do it.

If you want to do a reservation, go to a ticket office and give the departure and arrival stations and the date and time of departure; you will obtain a "reserved seat ticket". Then proceed to the ticket gates and show your pass to the clerk (do not pass through the automatic gates). You may be asked to show your reserved set ticket on board the train.

If you choose to not make a reservation, simply proceed directly to the ticket gates without going to the ticket office. Be careful to sit on "non-reserved" seats (if you sit on "reserved" seats and are asked to show your reserved seat ticket, you may be asked to move if you don't have one).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 18:13
Oh and yes, there normally are signs to the Shinkansen tracks. And if you don't immediately see signs, just ask station staff, at Tokyo they will most likely speak English.

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 19:04
The signage for shinkansen is national wide same.

Once you seen one you know your way around. Basically a picture of the nose head of the bullet train.

You may or may not be chased out of your seat if you are in the reserved section. Higher chance not to be if your station is coming up soon. Because JR Pass covers any reservation costs.

Do not go to the green cabins though. These are like the first class cabins.

After you get your pass, just walk to the "manned gantries/entry" points, flash the (back of the) pass and walk through.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 19:25
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

This site will give you SO much useful information. It's always worth searching the main site before putting a query up on the site forum.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 20:51
Thank you very much for the answers, that clears everything up for me :)

I did read that link before, Winter Visitor, but I just wanted to confirm if the steps for the Shinkansen rides are the same, since they are different than local trains and I was afraid that I might miss something out. Thanks for the reminder anyway :)

One question though, what if I reserve and then sit in an unreserved seat? I see a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet like some say it's better to reserve while some say it's better NOT to reserve because the reserved coaches are more cramped. If the reserved coach is cramped, am I allowed to sit on an unreserved coach?

I have another question, I'm not sure I read it in the link, but can I reserve before my pass begins? For example I'm going to Japan on January 12 and do the exchange, and the pass won't begin until January 14. But on January 12, I want to make reservations already for my ride on the 15th on the shinkansen so I won't have to keep coming back to the ticket station.
by Lev (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 21:06
If you have reserved a seat, then sit on your reserved seat. While it's not technically forbidden to reserve a seat and not use it, it's obviously not nice: someone else might have wanted that seat.

You can make reservations after you have exchanged your pass even if its validity period has not yet started, as long as the reserved trip falls within the validity period of the pass.

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 21:32
Alright I'll take note of that, I got what you said, it's just common courtesy :) It's hard to get separated from my companions so I guess reserving so we sit together is the best.

Thanks again!

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 22:22
One question though, what if I reserve and then sit in an unreserved seat?

That is ok, and is the proper procedure should you happen to miss your reserved train. But if you have a reserved seat you can usually make your way to it even if you get on on the wrong car. Otherwise there's no real point to make a reservation but sit in an unreserved car on the same train.

I see a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet like some say it's better to reserve while some say it's better NOT to reserve because the reserved coaches are more cramped.

Generally it is always better to reserve. The cars are the same or nicer than the unreserved seats, and if you the reserved seats are full on a particular train then the unreserved seats will be REALLY full.

If the reserved coach is cramped, am I allowed to sit on an unreserved coach?

Yes, but like I said, it's not usually for the unreserved seats to be less full than the reserved seats.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/7 22:35
Thanks yllwsmrf, that is great to hear :) So the reserved seats tend to be less full thank the unreserved ones, I see.

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/8 00:26
if you take Hikari, it is better to reserve your seat. if you take Kodama, maybe not necessary.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/8 13:08
It's always good to reserve, and it means you can sometimes get a better seat - I had window seats on every train ride! I also got very lucky once - somehow the very kind and efficient JR lady reserving my seat from Nagasaki to Shin-Tosu gave me a Green Car seat! I was so nervous I was going to get expelled with my Ordinary Jr Pass...but the ticket passed! She also booked a few other trains for me, and gave me ocean views.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/8 14:58
@SQ great for you!

I have experienced reserved cabin being much more cramped then non reserved. Don't ask me why. It was during autumn so probably everyone wanted to be sure of a seat and made reservation, so the non-reserved section was 10-20% occupancy only.\

Rare case though.

Note that some stations has multiple entry points and not all of them have a manned gate. You need to find the manned gate. Also some stations in rural areas might not have any personnel whatsoever. Just show your pass to train conductor if he looks your way, if not just confidently walk off the train. If you look too anxious they might think you tried to skip on paying!
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/8 15:02
@SQ that was very nice of her! You lucky guy XD

@joshuahigh ahhh I see! But the manned gates are usually nearby? Or I can just ask around where the manned gates are? Thanks for the heads up about the rural stations!

Re: JR Pass for Shinkansen Questions 2015/1/8 15:20
Don't worry, manned gates can be found near most ticket gates. The shinkansen ones are easy to spot. Manned ticket gates tend to be to one side of the machines, although a couple of stations (e.g. Ueno) have small offices next to the machines that you have to walk through to show your JR pass.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread