Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 04:22
Hi all, I'm flying in to Haneda airport and am wondering which is the best hotel location to book (\7000 odd per night). So far I intend to visit Disneysea, Ghibli museum, fish market, Doraemon museum (maybe) and take a day trip to Hakone for Onsen.

I will be there Weds - Tues (following week). How do you suggest I plan my itinerary? Anywhere else to go? I'm not too big on shopping as I'm on a budget and have done plenty of nature sight-seeing in Kyoto. I don't think Tokyo is big on nature stuff too.

I wish to soak in the culture and taste as much delicious food as possible. :) Appreciate any kind advices, thanks!

Oh and where do I get a 3G SIM card that I can use for 3 weeks? Also what omiyage to get for my Japanese friends too?
by bebegurl  

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 14:42
you can get a 3G SIM card at the airport.
by batt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 14:47
If you are flying in/out of Haneda, maybe a Toyoko Inn location around Shinagawa might come in handy?

For planning your itinerary, apparently as soon as you arrive you would want to try to book Ghibli and Doraemon to see which days/time slots you can go there. Maybe avoid Disneysea and Hakone on the weekend, but for the rest you don't have any long-distance travel, so you can just do what you feel like on the day.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 14:47
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 15:56
I stayed at Hotel East 21 Tokyo recently. Very good service, helpful staffs, comfortable room and they provide free shuttle bus services to and from Tokyo Disneyland/Sea. There are direct limousine bus services from Haneda airport as well.

The rates are affordable for a 4 star hotel, about 9000 yen per night. They even carry the bags to your room (without the need to tip). You really do get what you pay for.

I recently lost my handbag at Tokyo station (which I managed to get it back later with everything intact at the 'lost and found' section, thanks to the awesome Japanese society). I told the hotel staff that I needed to make phone calls to the embassy (as my passport was in my bag) and also oversea phone calls to cancel my credit card.

Instead of directing me to use the hotel room telephone to call (which I will be charged), they offered me to use their reception phone and even made the call on my behalf. The kind receptionist also helped me print out my flight itinerary and a copy of my passport.

That's 5 star customer service.

The only thing is the hotel is about 10-15 minutes walk to the Toyocho train station on the Tozai line. But if you're fit and healthy, it's really not that far.

But just in case morning walk aren't your thing, they offer free shuttle bus service to the Toyocho and Shin Kiba station from 7 in the morning till 12 in the afternoon.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 16:00
The location is in Koto-ku, which is nearer to the Odaiba, Tsukiji market, Nihombashi, Asakusa and Tokyo station area. About 20- 30 minutes.

It takes about 45 minutes to Shibuya.

But if you're going to Disneysea, Koto-ku is a good place to stay. It's far from all the buzz and noise at Shibuya and Shinjuku and nearer to Disney world resort, which takes about 30 minutes.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 17:06
Hi batt, how much does a 3G sim card cost and does it come in S5 nano size? I will be staying in Japan for a total of 19 days and would fly from Haneda to Osaka next.
by bebegurl rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 17:11
Hi ... (guest), I would ask my Japanese friend to help me a Ghilbi museum ticket. Since it's not exactly peak period, is it also very crowded at Disneysea on weekends?

Do you know where I can watch the Cosplay fanatics? My friend went a few months ago and couldn't find the place. Not sure what she meant but she said there were very little cosplay to watch. Is it like a season thing?

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 17:16
Yup I searched for Toyoko Inn in Tokyo but most only provide wifi in lobby and not in the rooms. I was surprised as they provide room wifi in Osaka and Kyoto. With the fact that I always stayed there in my previous 2 trips, I thought of trying somewhere new and around the same price. :)

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 17:23
Hi Murakami San, I checked but it's sold out at the Hotel East 21. :(

I'm only just going to confirm my flight and flying off in about a week's time.

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 17:27
Oh and I think my Japanese friends smoke, so I'm thinking of getting cigarettes or beer at duty fee. I heard that Japanese love to eat mangoes because it's not selling there. Is this true? Or does it apply to Japanese who have sweet tooth?

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 17:30
Hi jin, I would prefer a place that has hotel facilities and services.

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/11 19:26
http://www.gsm-rentafone.co.jp/e/mobilecom/lineup_dm/index.html

Rental Fee : 110yen (incl.tax) / Day
Administration fee : 315yen (incl.tax) / contract
by batt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo in Tokyo for 6 days 2015/1/12 00:06
Hi batt, I cannot find any info on whether I have to return the rented SIM card at Haneda.. Do you have any idea? I won't be flying out of Haneda airport.

reply to this thread