Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko and snow in late March? 2015/1/12 08:44
Hello all!

I apologise if this has been asked somewhere before; I had a quick look but could only find very general information.

I am traveling to Japan for just over two weeks, and am thinking about visiting Nikko for 2 nights around the 24th/25th of March. I have heard from friends that the scenery and hiking there is beautiful - however, I have also heard that in March the area is still likely to be covered in several centimetres of snow. The areas we have been told about in particular are the Kegon and Ryuzu waterfall, the Senjogahara Marshland and the Yumoto onsen.

Our rough itinerary will be Tokyo, Nikko, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hakone then back to Tokyo.

If anyone has any advice or information regarding Nikko's weather at this time I would appreciate it. Likewise about any alternate hiking trails or destinations offering similar geography/activities that could be visited on our route for a couple of days. For the record, my friend and I are fine with it being chilly, but snow might just hinder our hiking plans a little if hiking routes are closed. :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Sarah.
by Sarah (guest)  

Re: Nikko and snow in late March? 2015/1/12 08:58
For your information, below is the depth of snow at Lake Chuzenjiko on March 25 of the past few years. Similar depths can be expected around Senjogahara and Yumoto (maybe a little bit more):

Average: 11 cm
2014: 26 cm
2013: 3 cm
2012: 21 cm
2011: 15 cm
2010: 14 cm
2009: 2 cm
2008: no snow
2007: no snow
2006: 1 cm
2005: 23 cm
2004: 4 cm
2003: 14 cm
2002: no snow
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and snow in late March? 2015/1/22 22:31
I have been to Nikko during june, and when travel higher i still see snow on the mountain.
by Huong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and snow in late March? 2015/1/22 23:15
Do note that the Marshlands are quite a bit higher than Nikko itself (I think 400+ meters higher).

In 2013 - I was staying in Nikko on April 20th and it snowed that night! As such - we won't really know if there is no snow until very close to the day.

Also remember that even if it looks as though there is no snow in central Nikko - this is not always the case up higher. I can however confirm that the Marshlands can be beautiful...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko and snow in late March? 2015/1/26 06:52
I was there last March. Nikko was fine and sunny. I was going up to Lake Chuzenjiko with a tent in my bag. But I had to realize that there was at least 40 cm or more of snow along the road. And a freezing cold wind. Despite this there were low clouds or fog. So I didn't stay up there overnight. Still it was kind of beautiful. You can do snow shoe hikes or visit an Onsen Hotel surrounded by snow.
by flobotera (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread